lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
shaun p
Not Yet Wild

Default 82 electric motor check problem

i tested my motor tonight just to make sure it still worked. i used a charger to test the motor, but all i got was a humming sound when the motor was hooked up. i had the motor out and apart last week to have one of the wires re connected to the posts, and tested it when i put it back in and it worked fine. but while hooking my wires back up one of the wires from the motor touched a positive terminal. and the cart took off backwards and now the motor is only humming when i try to test it. did i fry the motor? or maybe a micro switch ? or possibly separate another wire from a post inside the motor some how ? any ideas ?

thanks!!!
shaun p.s this is how i tested it

1. Connect S1 to A2
2. Connect 12 volt posistive from a battery charger to S2
3. Connect 12 volt negative from a battery charger to A1
4. Turn on charger, observe , then turn off charger.
shaun p is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 82 electric motor check problem

Hey shaun!
I hope nobody was hurt and no damage but I gotta say that must have been pretty amusing when the cart took off backwards while you're working on it
I never tried to run a motor off a charger so I'm not sure what to expect testing it like that.
Can you test it off of a battery or two?
The humming is from the pulsating frequency of the charger but pure DC from a battery would be better.

I have tested cart motor completely out of the cart on bench with homemade bearing plate to center the armature and on 12 volts it hits pretty good rpms.(no load)

You should jack up the wheels and test with probably no more than 18 volts?
(only load will be the friction of the drive line)

If you get sparks, testing by hooking up directly at the motor and the motor does not move then I would have to suspect a short inside the motor.

Many possibilities but that's how I would start eliminating.
Others will hopefully chime in with more ideas!
72volt_ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 82 electric motor check problem

A simple continuity test would let you know if there are any shorts in the motor. You should have continuity between any A1 and A2. Also between S1 and S2 but not between any A and and any S terminal.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO