lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
czazzara
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2010 ez-go rxv

'Morning,

I've been looking at a couple of 2010 RXV's at a local E-Z-GO sales place. They are fleet lease returns or demos and I'm wondering if the problems that have plagued RXV early purchasers had been resolved by the 2010 model year.

I like the tech in the cart, but I'm not interested in dealing with all the failures I've read about.

These unfortunately are not Freedom's so I will have to add lights for use in the RV park I'm buying it for. Because of this, I'm guessing that a voltage converter will also have to be added since I don't think they came standard on the Fleet models.

Another thing that I would like to add is a hitch and ball to tow and launch a SeaDoo with it. I looked at the back end of the RXV and it's mostly plastic so I'm wondering what the solution is for this one.

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Z.
czazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2010 ez-go rxv

Yes, most all of the bugs have been worked out of the 2010 model RXV.

E-Z-GO actually has a really nice inverter that they sell that is designed just for the RXV so I would reccommend using that one.

As for the hitch, talk to Scotty about getting the hitch for that cart he has acces to one that is a bolt on deal and will distribute the load correctly. Here is what it looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rxv hitch.jpg (7.7 KB, 9 views)
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
dougmcp
Gone Wild

The RXV had a few issues when they were first introduced in 2008 but all has been resolved and the 2010 should be a great cart.
IMO it is the best drive system you can currently get on a golf cart. It's an AC drive that makes all the old series and sepex carts seem rudimentary.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
czazzara
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hiya,

Thanks for the replies and insight into the current state of the RXV. After re-visiting with the dealer I'm inclined to look instead for a Freedom RXV. While I could add the parts that are missing, the whole package would be nicer.

I asked about installing one of EZGO's DC to DC converters and the dealer felt that wouldn't really be needed just to run the lights occasionally. I have read otherwise on this board so I'm unsure about the importance of connecting external DC loads to the whole bank via the converter instead of just using one battery.

Chris Z.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

Ok so the importance of pulling the load from the whole pack is, you got 4 -- 12v batteries, now when you hook up your, radio, lights, and so on, to one battery, that battery will get pulled down lower than the other three batteries, so now when you charge your batteries, one battery is lower volts than the other three batteries, so three batteries are getting OVER charger, because the one battery that is running your accessory needs to be charged longer than the other three batteries, shorting the life of the other batteries, by over charging them
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's an even more important reason to have a DC to DC converter......

The RXV is extremely voltage sensetive. If you are running lights from 1 battery only, that battery voltage is going to drop at a much higher rate than the others causing the overall pack voltage to drop rapidly. When the overall pack voltage drops quickly, the controller senses it and engages the motor brake. If it does it at high speed, you just slammed your chest into the steering wheel and sent your passenger into/through the windshield.

If your local dealer is advising you that you don't need the converter, find another dealer to talk to because that is just about the worst advise I have ever heard someone give when dealing with an RXV. I won't even let one leave my shop without one being installed. Period, end of sentence.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
czazzara
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Here's an even more important reason to have a DC to DC converter......

The RXV is extremely voltage sensetive. If you are running lights from 1 battery only, that battery voltage is going to drop at a much higher rate than the others causing the overall pack voltage to drop rapidly. When the overall pack voltage drops quickly, the controller senses it and engages the motor brake. If it does it at high speed, you just slammed your chest into the steering wheel and sent your passenger into/through the windshield.

If your local dealer is advising you that you don't need the converter, find another dealer to talk to because that is just about the worst advise I have ever heard someone give when dealing with an RXV. I won't even let one leave my shop without one being installed. Period, end of sentence.
This is the way I understand it and I have to echo your disappointment in my dealer for just being interested in getting carts off his lot with whatever solutions he comes up with.

That said and since EZGO'S wants over $300 for their DC to DC converter, is there an aftermarket solution to this, or should I just write the check?

CZ
Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There is always an aftermarket solution for it, I still like the unit that E-Z-GO uses the best for that application though. It's a tough unit and the cart is literally built to accomodate it. I would suggest shopping that part number around since a quick google search had me finding them priced below $250.......

As a side note, if you do go after a freedom model RXV, they already should have the converter installed.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
stewy 1
Not Yet Wild

Is their any problems with a 2009 model been looking at one today
stewy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Buggity
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No problems with my '09, it's a fleet model with 2012 batteries. In my opinion the best cart you can buy. I picked mine up for $2650, with the new batteries.
Buggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO