lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
dongray
Not Yet Wild

Default Mixed Up Batteries

I just brought home a 2001 Yamaha G19EW today. This is my first cart, and plan to only use it to run around the farm on. The batteries are a mix of one Trojan, four Workaholic, and one Duralast. The batteries are all old, with the exception of the Duralast which is less than one year old. They are also all 8 volt, with the exception of the Duralast which is 6 volts. To make matters worse, the Duralast was installed backwards and is now reverse charged (positive is now negative and negative is now positive). The previous owner said that he could easily get 36 holes of golf on a single charge, so the batteries apparently are working good the way they are connected, and even with just 46 volts, the cart goes fast enough for me. I know that, if I had the money, I should simply purchase a new matched set of batteries, however, buying a new set of batteries is not in my financial near future. What I hope to do is to use the existing batteries until they start to fail, while I budget for a new set. Not wanting to damage my controller or the charger (MAC SCR481717 10 amp unit), will continuing to run the cart with the one 6 volt battery and five 8 volt batteries do any harm? If not, should I discharge and then re-reverse charge the battery for proper polarity? Or would I be better off getting just one 8 volt battery, whether new or used, to replace the 6 volt battery? Thanks for any input on this.
dongray is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Mixed Up Batteries

Replace the 6v battery immediately, you could damage the controller and motor due to low voltage/high amperage draw.
Not to mention the over charging that is happening as you are reaching the same cut off voltage but have one less cell to distribute the voltage to.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
dongray
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input scottyb. I took your advice and found a nearly new Trojan T-875 for $40. So now at least I have a matching voltage set of only two brands of batteries, and I don't have to worry about damaging anything.
dongray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A pack of different brands is okay as long as they are all in about the same condition...... actually if they aren't, they soon will be. Such is the case when you toss 1 new one into a pack. It gets over charged until it gets as unresponsive as the rest of the pack within a few months time usually.
Well, good luck!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha