lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
davidgenes
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 RXV rear end differential oil change advise / noise / grinding

I have carpet in my garage - it is an old peice (probably 15x15) from my Mom's house that was OK just dated, so I put it in the garage for card games, watching games.. well, drinking and socializing in general...

I do find it is nice for kneeling / laying on the floor working on stuff also. If I get into anything too serious, I just roll it up along the wall.

I can't remember the last time we had a car in either of our garage bays..
davidgenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
bandcollector
Not Yet Wild

Where did you get your bearings/parts. Did you replace the oil seal or just the bearing?
bandcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
davidgenes
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

@bandcollector -

I went to my local NAPA auto parts store with the old bearing in hand and they were able to match it up for me.

I replaced the seals also (they were cheap).
Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
bandcollector
Not Yet Wild

My cart is out in the boonies and that'll take an extra week to do it that way. Did napa carry the seals as well?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I changed the fluid in my lifted cart last summer. I used an oil that was recommended for limited-slip rear ends and have had no problems. I have never heard of the brakes making any noise but if you wish you can remove it and clean the inside. It is a lot like a clutch set up and not bad if you are mechanical which it appears you are. The brakes work great on RXV's but due to the design RXV's do not like hard braking so try to be easy on them and you won't end up with brake issues that everyone complains about.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
bandcollector
Not Yet Wild

Ok I tracked down the bearings locally and am heading out this evening to do the deed. ? When I pull the bearing/seal will the fluid dump? Any other helpful hints on installation? I printed out your removal pictures.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
davidgenes
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I am not sure, I drained mine before and put new in after. I would guess very little would come out if any. I did here (I think on here) that some of the earlier rear-ends came with the wrong kind of oil from the factory, so I would recommend replacing it. It is probably due anyway.

"85W-140 GL-5 Gear Oil" (for use with Hypoid gears). They recommend this since or an equivalent since the RXV has a limited slip differential.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
bandcollector
Not Yet Wild

Got it done and fixed my noise as well. Like to kick butt on whoever cranked down the lug nuts! Then of course I ran into the dreaded snap rings.... All in all a straight forward job.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
PinballDad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgenes View Post
Thanks for the info - the blowup of parts was nice to see what I was getting into!

I was worried about the second retaining clip between the bearing and the oil seal, but as it turned out the axle and bearing pulled out and then I was able to get the second clip off and then the oil seal.

For anyone reading this thread later, here is how I ended up getting the bearing pulled with no special tools - it was really in there!

(pics attached to help show this next part)

I used an old pvc pipe fitting I had laying around and cut the threads off so it was essentially a big, plastic nut and put it over the axle and then put the hub and nut back on. This way, as I tightened the axle nut the pvc nut was pushing on the axle housing rather than the bearing and it pulled out the axle and nut together until the bearing was flush with the axle housing. After that, I just cut off a 2x4 and wedged it against the spring and hub and again tightened the nut until it popped out.

I did the nut thing for the beginning stubborn part because then I was getting a nice straight pull - after it was out at the edge and I used the 2x4 I was pulling only on one side, so I wouldn't recommend doing that for the hard part.

I haven't gotten to draining the differential yet - a curious neighbor stopped by and I had a few adult beverages instead!
I'm a little confused. The first picture has the lug studs pointing in toward the center of the cart. I have a click grind noise at low speeds on my 2008 RXV. I pulled both tires off but am not sure what to do next to change the bearings. This thread tells me more than I knew but being a novice, I sadly need more detail/information. I have mine RXV on jack stands and both tires off. Should I drain the dif first? Do I just remove the castle nut at the shaft end to get the wheel bearing off? Or will I need that pvc thing and a 2 x 4?

Thanks for any help friends. Here is a picture of where I am at;)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG1190.jpg (133.8 KB, 0 views)
PinballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
bandcollector
Not Yet Wild

No, yes, no.

Tags
differential, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO