lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Don curson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Increase in speed.

First off I am going to say I'm sorry if my question has been asked before. Just joined last week with my first cart. I just got a 2009 CC precedent 4 seater. By my GPS its running 14 mph and its my understanding that its set at code 3 for the speed. My local cart guy says he can increase the speed by about 5 more mph by installing some type of magnet that tricks the speed sensor!!! I thought the only way you could increase the speed, was by having the dealer reset it to 4 or by having a different motor installed. Is this guy pulling my leg with this magnet trick?? Since this is my first electric cart you guys know more about them than I will ever know.
Don
Don curson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Plasterface
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Increase in speed.

You will need the right motor to make the magnet change, I believe if the speed sensor on back of motor has a screw then you have the right motor but you will want to check this, these are sold on ebay and there are diagrams you can reference there to see if the magnet is the right choice.

Otherwise setting controller to private setting 4 will need to be done by a dealer probably for about $100.

I believe either will accomplish approximately the same results. My precedent is at setting 4 and goes bout 18-19 MPH.

And I do not believe that if you have speed code 4, that there would be any additional benefit by adding a magnet due to the fact that those stock motors just are not built for any more speed. So if you want faster that 18-19 time to think about a new motor and new controller etc..
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Don curson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Its funny you should mention having the right motor. My tech wanted to know what year, and since mine is a 2009 he said it would work fine. I guess just because I haven't heard about something, it doesn't mean its not true!! Thanks for the info.
Don curson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Wes350x
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just bought a 09 Precendent with the speed setting 4 from the builder and mine does 20 mph. I asked him about the magnet trick and he said it will neither help or hurt it. It only works on the 2008 and down models due to CC changing something. But he did say it definately works on the right model.
Wes350x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
cychhosis
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

OOPS, I did a search and found a helpful thread. Is this magnet trick something I could do on my '07? Anyone want to post some DIY photos of the process?
cychhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
tratt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

See this thread.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/extre...tml#post755675

They work great. Cheap speed IMHO.
tratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Plasterface
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychhosis View Post
OOPS, I did a search and found a helpful thread. Is this magnet trick something I could do on my '07? Anyone want to post some DIY photos of the process?
Just do a search on ebay they have instructions on how to find out if hour motor is compatible and it is an easy fix, just jack up cart, remove rear passenger side wheel and unscrew speed sensor from motor swap out magnet and done.

You do not have to buy from ebay but its an easy place to get reference.
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
hanny
Getting Wild

i believe speed setting 4 and the magnet trick are the same thing. doing both wont help.
want more then 20 mph you will need to do a gear change or a motor change like plum quick. and of course get all the amps out of the cart with new cables and a controller
hanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car