lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
GatorsUF
Not Yet Wild

Default Did I buy a lemon?

I just bought an 85' Club Car that looks to be in great shape. However the batteries are my concern (as with most of us I'm sure). I don't really know much at all about golf carts so here is what I got.

I test drove it when before I bought it and it seemed to run fine, I tested top speed at 10mph which was slower than I hoped for but figured if the rest held up I was ok with it. Seller told me it would run between 1.5-2 hours on a charge which is more than enough for what I needed.

I took it home and unloaded it about .5 mile from my house and on the way home the battery was dying. Got it in my backyard and plugged it for the past 2 days, but I left the key in the "on" position. It doesn't seem to be well charged so I am charging it now.

about 30 mins into the charge my batteries are at:
1: 7.2v
2: 7.9v
3: 7.7v
4: 7.9v
5: 7.1v
6: 7.0v

Total of 45.0v..

I paid $700 for it, but I am about to call him up and get a refund.
GatorsUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Did I buy a lemon?

$700 for a decent looking golf cart and a good battery pack is a killer deal when you consider new batteries are $500-$700.

Let the charger finish and auto shut off.
Let the pack sit for 12 hours. Recheck and post the battery readings. Connect the meter to the battery mains and drive the cart with the meter on the seat... give us the readings under full power (preferably uphill).
This will give us some initial idea of the pack condition. However the variation in the readings you posted are not a good indication, already.
Based on the price, the performance complaint, and the initial readings, I would say you probably need new batteries.

Welcome to BGW!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
GatorsUF
Not Yet Wild

So after full charge and removed from charger I got this:

1: 6.3v
2: 6.2v
3: 6.4v
4: 6.5v
5: 6.2v
6: 6.0v

I ran it around the neighborhood and with my phone I was going about 10mph at first, after running for about 10-15 minutes I was down to 5-6mph.

I didn't get that running voltage for you as I don't have good equipment to test that.

I guess my question is this, I spent $700 on a golf cart that is in very good shape but appears to need new batteries. Is that a good deal?

Saw a chemical on Ebay that claims to refurbish/renew the batteries, reviews are good. Will that work?

I don't really have another $500-600 to spend on batteries ATM.

P.S. he said he put acid in the batteries, everything I have read says to put distilled water in...is that bad?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You should never add acid to a battery unless it has tipped over and completely drained the electrolyte. People will do this in an effort to get a bad battery to pass current. It in no way " fixes " the battery!
Use only distilled water to replenish the electrolyte level in a battery.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
GatorsUF
Not Yet Wild

Well I just looked at all the batteries, and they all seem to be low by about 1.5-2" from the top. Some of the battery parts inside are sticking out of the fluid.

Should I just pour in distilled water or should I try this refurbishing chemical?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Bud Man
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Use distilled water the plates should not be exposed they need to be covered by at least 1/4"

I think you got a good deal at $700
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Around here the price for a golf cart that has bad or no batteries and you can't test to see if it runs is between 5-7 hundred dollars and you might not get the charger with it, so you got a decent deal on the cart as long as it looks ok.

You were able to make sure that the cart actually works before you bought it AND you got the charger with it so you're ahead of the game!

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsUF View Post
Well I just looked at all the batteries, and they all seem to be low by about 1.5-2" from the top. Some of the battery parts inside are sticking out of the fluid.

Should I just pour in distilled water or should I try this refurbishing chemical?
You may want to read all the reviews on this product! Honestly these things rarely do anything but let more current flow through the battery. It really won't help the condition of your battery. Here's a link to " ScottieB's " site. Read everything he has with the word " Battery " in it. You will be quite amazed and some of these procedures will actually help your battery function!
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
GatorsUF
Not Yet Wild

How fast can I expect my 1985 Club Car to go? Not looking to set any records, just hoping I can get 10mph+ out of it. Prefer about 15mph.

Motor = GE 5BC48JB764 2HP; 2800RPM; 36V

Thanks for all your help guys, very much appreciate it.

I think I will try the distilled water and epsom salt trick, if that works I will be happy for a little while.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

You need to load test those batteries.Epsom salts are for sore feet not dying batteries.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car