lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
Grinch
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Stray Ground

No problem. I'm ok with basic circuits but once it gets beyond that I've got to revert to " the red thing" and " the black thing" or I'm lost.
Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
LJ12530
Gone Wild

One other question. Does your voltage reducer have the +/- from the entire battery pack as an input and one wire as an output?
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
Grinch
Getting Wild

Club Car

The reducer has four wires. Positive to battery pack, control to key switch( I have a toggle since I have an older cart with negative to key), positive 12v out and a common negative. The voltage reading from thr frame occurs without any wires from the reducer connected.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Stray Ground

Grinch - Do you have ANY accesseries on the car? Radio, turn signals, tape player, MP3 player, horn? Anything that can be traced back to, or in contact with, the frame? NOT the negative of the battery pack, but in contact with the frame?

Is it possible the motor is the problem? (shot in the dark here)

I had the same problem with my Precedent, and it turned out to be the turn signal handle/switch that is mounted on the steering column. I insulated the switch and voltage went away.

LJ12530 is correct, the frame of a club car is for the suspension (springs, steering, etc) only. The frame has no electrical function.

Good luck, let us know what ya find.
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

The stray voltage you are measuring is common on sparky carts. Some carts have it, some don't. That being said, unless the voltage is capable of supporting current it is inconsequential. Easy way to test is use a 12v auto test probe with the light in the handle. Hook it between any battery terminal and the frame. If it lights up, you have a real issue. No light, no issue.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #16
LJ12530
Gone Wild

I just checked my 48V Precedent. When I measure + pack to frame I get +12 V and > 2 M ohms resistance. When I measure - battery pack to frame I get - 36V and > 2 M ohms.

So the stray paths, with high resistance, is the answer. The R in my diagram is the resistance in the battery, and is negligible for this situation.

Looks like Volt_Ampere nailed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frame Ground.jpg (57.7 KB, 0 views)
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Do you have lights and turn signal mounted to steering column?
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
Grinch
Getting Wild

Club Car

Yes but they are not powered. All 4 wires from my voltage reducer are disconnected. I did the light test. I used a tester and the bulb lit (dimly).
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #19
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
Yes but they are not powered. All 4 wires from my voltage reducer are disconnected. I did the light test. I used a tester and the bulb lit (dimly).
Do you have a turn signal mounted to your steering column? Is it in direct contact with the metal column or is there rubber completely around the shaft where it might attach? Just curious.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #20
Grinch
Getting Wild

Club Car

it's mounted to the shaft with a rubber seal it could have easily worn through. but again it's not electrically connected to anything on the cart. the wires from the turn signals, lights and horn all lead to both positive and negative terminal blocks that are isolated electrically from vehicle. Both positive and negative power sources to the terminal blocks have been disconnected.

Last edited by Grinch; 01-29-2013 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: iPad autocorrect error
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car