lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
corycartman
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Electric Motor Bad?

I have a 1980 club car with a GE motor. I pulled the motor out and checked continuity between the A1 post and A2 post and there was. Then I checked continuity between the S1 and S2 terminals and got nothing. Is this likely my problem? Is the motor bad? I also tried bench testing the motor by putting a jumper between S1 and A2 terminal and then hooked a 12v battery positive to the S2 terminal and the negative to the A1 terminal. As long as this is how it's done the motor did not run. Please help
corycartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Club Car Electric Motor Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corycartman View Post
I have a 1980 club car with a GE motor. I pulled the motor out and checked continuity between the A1 post and A2 post and there was. Then I checked continuity between the S1 and S2 terminals and got nothing. Is this likely my problem? Is the motor bad? I also tried bench testing the motor by putting a jumper between S1 and A2 terminal and then hooked a 12v battery positive to the S2 terminal and the negative to the A1 terminal. As long as this is how it's done the motor did not run. Please help
To test run a series motor

Remove all cables from the motor; connect a jumper from A1 to S1. Connect 12 to 24 volts, positive @ A2 and negative @ S2. Swap S1 and S2 to change rotation direction.

To test run a Sep-Ex (regen) motor

Remove all cables from the motor; connect a jumper from A1 to F1 and a jumper from A2 to F2. Connect 12 to 24 volts, positive @ A1/F1 and negative @ A2/F2. Swap F1 and F2 to change rotation direction.

NOTE: some Sep-Ex motors are labeled S1 & S2 in place of F1 & F2

CAUTION:

Allowing a motor to spin @ high RPM can cause catastrophic failure!
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

You didn't mention why you suspect that the motor is bad. With that type of age, I would suspect brushes and be checking for shorts. Test for continuity between motor case and any terminal. There should be none....
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
corycartman
Not Yet Wild

What happened was my 2 year old son stepped on the gas peddle and was about to hit the wall so my mom slammed the brakes at the same time and it never worked after that. All the solenoids are clicking so I assumed it was the motor. I was reading somewhere that both the S1 and S2 and A1 and A2 terminals should have continuity and I don't have that between S1 and S2 so I figured the motor was bad. Looking at stevegrmich's instructions its seems I bench tested it right and the motor still didn't run. I have no idea
Old 05-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Are we to assume all the 5 micro switches and all 5 solenoids are working but the cart just will not go?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
corycartman
Not Yet Wild

I tested the solenoids they all click and once they click the small terminals have power so I would assume they are working. Does not having contitnuity between S1 and S2 terminal and the bench test not seem like the motor?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car