lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Did she ruin batteries?

Ok my wife and a neighbor took our EZGO TXT 36 v series cart out today without checking with me to deliver newsletters in everyone's mailbox in our neighborhood which has about 220 homes. The last time I charged it was probably 5 days ago or so and my guess is that it could have stood to be topped off before she took off. Well I get a call that the golf cart had stopped working on her and I needed to come home and get them. They were about 3/4 of the way done and had been doing stop and go driving with hills mixed in for about an hour and half. So sure enough I find them in a culdesac and the cart won't move more than 5 feet. They said they kept trying after resting and it would move a few feet, then - click, click, click. My multi meter showed 33.7 volts . Her friend says Uhoh he looks mad. So I go hook up my trailer, push it on and take it home. I put it on charger and has been charging for a couple hours now. The meter on charger started out a bit over 20 amps and now is at 12 amps after 2 hours and pack shows 43.3 volts right now. The water level was very low ( that's my fault) so I have added enough distilled H2O to cover plates evenly in all batteries. So what do you think? Are my batteries gone? They are about 3 years old and usually settle around 38 after charge and sit time. They are Powertron P2000G batteries. Still charging and gurgling away....
ROBinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Did she ruin batteries?

I doubt she "ruined them" but it definitely didn't help them. It is normal for your multimeter to show that much voltage if you took the reading fresh off the charger. Let it charge all the way and either drive it for about a minute afterwords or let it sit off the charger for 24 hours and then take the reading again.

Matt
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

after 3 hours the charger shut off and I just measured 39.2 with my meter. I unplugged the charger connector and kicked on charger again.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

They don't like to be drawn that low, but they weren't left that way for too long so that's something. Depending on their condition prior to this, they'll probably keep ticking along for a while.
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you are good to go!

Matt
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

The only thing you probably did to them was to shorten their lifespan. In other words, if they WERE going to last 6 years, now they might last 5 years and 10 months. The numbers are not accurate, but you get the idea.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
technomayor
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Make sure you give her a hug and tell her you love her.
technomayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Plug the cart in EVERYDAY. Even if you don't use it that day, pull out the charger plug and plug it back in. I don't use my cart everyday, but it goes through a charge cycle daily. My batteries are over 3 yrs old and I can still get 25-30 miles on a neighborhood cruise. I live in the country so the neighborhood is quite large.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomayor View Post
Make sure you give her a hug and tell her you love her.
I did and all seems ok now. You mean the cart, right?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBinGA View Post
I did and all seems ok now. You mean the cart, right?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO