lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery's taking a ton of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Bill View Post
JohnnieB, again you have led me in the right direction. Called DPI and was shocked that someone answered the phone (no push this #, then that # + this number, and another # for good luck...then hang on the phone for 30 minutes). What great customer service!

Asked for technical support and my call was immediately answered. Explained 10 year old charger/cart, 3 year old batts, and excessive gassing. No rush, 15-20 minute conversation. Their initial thoughts are possible cell weakness. I explained my multi-meter observations, but it was suggested that I get a hydrometer and test individual cells. Looking for about 5.5 SG, as my limited understanding is, and those that may be quite a bit lower by comparison. They said their charger, during charge, looks at the entire system as a 'whole' and a few weak cells could cause the system not to terminate the charge. They did not, for an instant, deny that the charger was the problem, but only suggested further investigation.

After the time these people spent with me, I do understand why ScottB is a fan of theirs.
5.5 is a bit too high. A fully charged cell will be around 1.277.

Attached is a chart that gives the SG of Trojan batteries at various States of Charge. Your batteries should produce about the same SG readings.

The average SG of the cells in a battery will be the voltage of the battery divided by the number of cells in the battery, less 0.845

IE: 6V Battery voltage = 6.366V
Battery has three cells, so cell voltage is 2.122V.
2.122 - 0.845 = 1.277

TH SG of all three cells in a 6V battery should be within 0.050 of each other.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO