lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Default Results of Precedent Excel cart upgrade

Have got a lot of help here along the way so I have decided to post the results of my upgrades as I go.

Starting point is a stock standard 2010 Excel Precedent Villager 4 seater - road legal. Did 14-15 mph on the flat (so I guess set on speed code 3) and was very slow up hill.

First upgrade = Executioner motor and HD solenoid and lower gauge wiring - 26mph on the flat and 14mph on the very steepest part of the steepest hill where I live. 31 mph was as fast as a dared go downhill and anything more would have been scary. Great acceleration and PQ motor is nice and quiet. Battery drains a little quicker than before, but cart still easily lasts the day driving around the local community (not sure what our normal usage is but maybe up to 20km with hills). Money well spent with PQ - this motor removes the speed restrictions on the stock controller and may be enough of an upgrade for many.

Pending upgrades - 1515S 350A controller which is in hand (couldn't get the 1268 500A with wiring conversion to work and this is well documented on my other threads). 350A controller may be kinder on battery life anyway. I will be happy if this helps my uphill performance and adds a couple of mph on the flat. If this works out well, I'll consider a lift and possibly 21" wheels, but I'm a little worried that this might not work out so well on the hills.

Controller will be fitted in a few days and I will share results.
slobdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
graniteguy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Results of Precedent Excel cart upgrade

Great, keep us posted...
graniteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Good luck with that 350 amp Excel controller. Every time I've ever tried to use it with a stock motor it would drop out and trigger a trouble code.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

so you are still running the stock controller in your Excel cart?? Is that a 250 amp ?? I have an IQ cart 2005. I could run an Executioner with my stock controller for a while till I upgrade to 350/400/500??
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:26 AM   #5
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

OK, I finally got my local golf cart garage to switch the 1515 250A controller over to a 1515S 350A replacement. Was a very quick process - the controllers look almost identical apart from a much thicker heat sink on the base of the 1515S. Seems to run ok with no glitches. This would be a very easy DIY job, I just don't have access to tools or a garage.

I have only done a quick road test - this time with 2 adults in the cart rather than just me. On the flat the performance increase was quite noticeable - up from around 26mph to 29mph and acceleration seemed much improved. However, no real speed increase on the steepest part of the hill which was a little disappointing (14mph). I will run the speed test again with just me in the golf cart so I can make a fair comparison.

So far the only mods I have on my cart are the 1515S controller, PQ Executioner motor and HD wiring and solenoid. Am a little worried about putting bigger wheels on, but have the lift kit and HD leaf springs ready and waiting. Bigger wheels could make me even slower up the hill...right?

Thanks, slobdiddy
Old 09-21-2014, 02:30 AM   #6
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecky50 View Post
so you are still running the stock controller in your Excel cart?? Is that a 250 amp ?? I have an IQ cart 2005. I could run an Executioner with my stock controller for a while till I upgrade to 350/400/500??
Yes you can. The great thing about the Executioner is it also removes the speed code restrictions from your standard controller, so you will immediately go a lot quicker. Best $500 I ever spent! Suggest you speak to the guys at PQ as motors and controllers need to match and you will need the correct motor for your system.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

You need torque to do what your saying. I would gladly give speed for more torque, how big are your cables?

Larger tires will result in the need for more torque to turn the larger tires but you will go faster lol.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

I can't recall how big my cables are but I got them big enough for a 500A controller..HD solenoid too.

I just want to know that I'm not going to overload my motor or go way slower if I switch to bigger wheels. On most of the steeper hills I go 14-16mph. I guess I don't need more speed on the flat as I around 30 mph already. Probably best stick with my small wheels.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If you want to go faster up hills you might want to go with smaller wheels.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
If you want to go faster up hills you might want to go with smaller wheels.
Or perhaps have gone with a controller bigger than 350 amp?

I to have got an Excel cart with same PQE motor but I have the Curtis 500 amp controller and I'm flat impressed with how well it does hills in our hood. My cart will accelerate up the gentle to mildly moderate hills and does slow but keeps going quite well on the steep stuff that I simply could not climb with the 250 amp controller.... This is with 22" tires...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car