lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
hmcnav
Not Yet Wild

Default Speed chip installed, whats next for more speed

Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this question.
I just got my cart last Tuesday and I use to take kids to school (1.2 miles one way) and to go around community for small shopping etc. Using my iPhone speedometer app I was getting 16mph constant. I just installed a speed chip and I am getting 19 mph, after about 1/2 mile it drops to 18. Best $9 investment!

My goal is to get the cart to run 25+. Currently I have an 36V 02 TXT PDS with 23 x 10.5 knobby tires on lift. Batteries are 18 months reconditioned. Cargo would be me and 2-3 kids so about 400 lbs of people weight.

The terrain here is pretty flat, a small hill here or there, nothing major. Do I need to go 48V or more, get new / better batteries, gear change to 8:1 or 6:1, or is the only answer bigger motor and all thats involved with that.

Thank you all very much
J
hmcnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Speed chip installed, whats next for more speed

You should already be seeing more than 18-19 mph with 23" tires. My 23x10.50-12 tires measure out around 22.5"and my PDS in Freedom mode runs 22-23 mph on flat ground.
I would bet that either your batteries aren't up to snuff, you have a bad connection somewhere, your brakes are rubbing or a combination of the three.

On good batteries with upgraded cables, an Alltrax 400 amp controller should get you what you are looking for. Your tall tires have already essentially changed your final drive ratio. If you are struggling to break 20 mph now, a gear change is only going to kill your torque even more and possibly net no gain in speed.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

someone here has 42V but u need a new charger. PM JohnieB
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A controller upgrade alone will get you 24 mph on the flats running stock tires. Contact ScottyB at cartsunlimited, a most excellent forum sponsor.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I dont know anyone who is running 42v on any ezgo stock sepex controller. But, with the failure rate of the stock pds controller, i dont think it would last long. If your batteries, cables and brakes are in proper order, a bigger better controller would get you the best speed improvment, and a torque increase.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hmc, I agree with these guys, a DCX400PDS (from Scottyb@www.cartsunlimited.net) brought mine to 25mph on 36v. If you want to go much faster, your pretty much gonna have to upgrade the motor.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

YEp, 24mph right out of the box for stock 18" tires. If your tires are 15% taller expect an equal increase in top speed provided batteries are top notch and brakes aren't draggin, tires fully inflated, etc.
Many members are exceeding these numbers by running pkg 808 on 42 or 48 volts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I run 42V, but never with a stock PDS controller.

If you are only getting 18-19 MPH with a Freedom chip on 23" tires, something is holding the cart back.

The stock PDS controller limits the motor RPM to about 4,400 in the freedom mode, which is about 19 MPH on 18" (stock height) tires and (mathematically) about 24 MPH on 23" tires, but if you have low pressure type tires (max inflation pressure under 10 PSI), it will be less.

If the high current cables are stock, they need to be replaced, all 10 of them.
I prefer 2Ga, but 4Ga will suffice for controllers rated at 500A or less.
Feel the cables after taking the kids to school and if any feel more than warm, it is stealing power from the motor and is part of the reason the cart isn't going faster on 23" tires.

A DCX400 (or larger) controller will up the top speed some, but won't know how much until we find out what is holding cart back. Tire type or electrical issues.

If you think you may up the pack voltage to 42V or 48V in the future, get the Super-Duty solenoid (400A Continuous/1000A Peak), it works at 36V, 42V and 48V, so you don't have to change it when you change the pack voltage.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
hmcnav
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for all your replies and I will be calling on ScottyB for the best short into long term solution.
I guess I would like to stay 36V but have the option of going 48V if I am not getting results I want or ending up wanting more... It sounds as if that is possible.

Question on stock wires, I just checked my and they are 4G 200V... is that stock or was it upgraded?

I will do a search now to see how to check for brake rubbing etc, the previous owner stated that brakes were just redone and that it was getting 18-20mph. So I am thinking from what you all are saying that it could likely be the brakes or weak batteries. The batteries do wear down 2-3 ticks after 1 mile
hmcnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcnav View Post
1. I guess I would like to stay 36V but have the option of going 48V if I am not getting results I want or ending up wanting more... It sounds as if that is possible.

2. Question on stock wires, I just checked my and they are 4G 200V... is that stock or was it upgraded?

3. I will do a search now to see how to check for brake rubbing etc, the previous owner stated that brakes were just redone and that it was getting 18-20mph. So I am thinking from what you all are saying that it could likely be the brakes or weak batteries.

4. The batteries do wear down 2-3 ticks after 1 mile
1. Sounds like a plan.

2. Attachments 1 & 2 show what the stock cables on my 2008 PDS looked like in 2011 when I acquired it. Attachments 3 & 4 shows the 2 Ga cables I installed. The original cables looked fairly decent, but I got a noticeable increase in low end torque when I replaced them.

My setup is considerably different now, but I'm still running the same cables.

3. To check for dragging brakes amd/or wheel bearings, release the parking brake and flip Run/Tow switch to Tow.
(The cart will beep at you and apply max Regen Braking if you push/pull it in the Run mode - Something to remember...)

Push cart by hand on hard level surface. It weighs half a ton, so it will take some effort to get it moving, but once it is moving, it should push easy and make no sounds.

4. LED bar-graph type battery meters tell more lies than politicians.
Best to replace it with a DVM type (Attachment-5), so you'll know what the actual battery pack voltage is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original - Battery.JPG (747.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Original - Controller.JPG (607.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Battery with 2Ga cables.JPG (976.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Controller with 2Ga cables.JPG (644.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DVM meter and Panel.jpg (43.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO