lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo speed chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Just sayin' I don't think regen makes ANY sense for me, but recognizing that it may make sense for some.

Ask JohnnyB how well his did for him.

I just asked if anyone had seen these yet. Why are you ranting about series or PDS and regen. Thanks for the input thought, I may order one of these
hollywood23113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It seems a little bit expensive when you could probably make your own for less than $10 and probably even less than $5 if you already have a freedom plug. You could access all 4 modes with 2 simple toggle switches. All that being said, the neat install of a plug and play item like that is worth something. I don't think you can go wrong.

I just installed an Alltrax controller so I no longer have the ability to change settings on the fly, but my primary motive for any of the regen modes was to slow things down for the kids to be able to drive the cart and also provide some automatic braking for them. As an all or nothing kind of guy, I can understand why some would have no use for a "slower" mode!
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #13
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Honestly, sitting here thinking about it. I always leave the red plug in mine so I guess I don't really have a need for it either. However, on the same page as that link you posted, I really like that same battery charger he has. Am I the only one still using the big *** heavy bulky Powerwise
Old 09-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood23113 View Post
So I was cruising around on eBay and found a guy that is making red and blue chip together in a harness with a switch to go on the dash to change back and forth???? Anyone have an dealings with these yet?
After looking at the E-bay item I noticed that the item description states that the run/tow switch must be toggled in order for the controller to accept the switch change. Just wondering what good the dash mounted rotary switch would be if you need to cycle the run/tow switch under the seat anyway. Maybe I'm missing something ! - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea I don't think the wire is long enough to dash mount, I noticed that also looks like it mounts to the controller cover
Old 09-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I just asked if anyone had seen these yet. Why are you ranting about series or PDS and regen. Thanks for the input thought, I may order one of these
Sorry, I'm an obsessive ranter. If I had a regen cart, I would certainly have a dash mounted switch, just 'cause...

If changing settings required a flip of the run/tow, that would be mounted next to my rotary switch, on the dash.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #17
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

That's a good idea too yurtle
Old 09-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #18
hollywood23113
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

on another note about chargers, why are factory chargers so big and heavy when Im seeing a lot of small ones on eBay???
Old 09-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm agree with Yurtle, but it really isn't a big deal to lift the seat and flip the switch. I had my toggle mounted below the run/tow switch right there on the cover. With the DCX500 I fabricated a mount that has the switch right under the edge of the body under the seat. It is probably best to keep the run/tow under the seat as a safety against kids and people that don't know anything about carts. I usually flip mine off to disable the cart when we are at a campground. It keeps the honest and stupid thieves away!

I forgot to mention that the primary reason for a mode selection switch is really just because it is such a pain to remove the cover, change the plug and replace the cover just to switch modes. I don't know that anybody really switches back and forth a lot and maybe that is because it is just not worth the effort.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
on another note about chargers, why are factory chargers so big and heavy when Im seeing a lot of small ones on eBay???
Some factory chargers aren't big and heavy enough. For example: The Powerwise QE chargers.

To answer your question in a single word. Reliability.

A golf cart battery charger typically puts out from about 15A to about 25A at 36V, 42V or 48V and is powered by 120VAC.
To get from 120VAC down to voltage needed to charge a cart's battery pack, either a step-down transformer or switching power supply is used.
Transformers seldom fail, but are heavy.
Switching power supplies don't weigh as much, but are more prone to failure.

The DPI Accusense charger I use has an old-school step-down transformer for reliability feeding modern microprocessor controlled SCR battery charging technology, for the best of both worlds.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO