lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #1
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Help a Sister out ...

Well my sister.

She is looking to pick up her first cart. It is a Western Elegante (built on an EzGo frame.)

I asked how many volts and the capacity of the controller. This is the answer She got. (Excuse the misspellings and grammatical errors. . . it is the dealer talking not me.)

“42 volts. Has 7 six volt batteries. Because it has 7 batteries I’m pretty sure it has a longer run time than 48 volt. Think it’s a 350 amp controller. One friend said maybe 400. Another said maybe 300. Anything above 275 has power. I can get up underneath and find out for sure later. I’ll need to Jack it up, If your interested in getting an even higher amp controller I can install one. 500 to 650 amp. That will haul 4 people of any size up the steepest hill at full speed”

Granted I’m a newbie myself, but his answer doesn’t make any sense to me, especially relating to the voltage. I was not aware there are 42 volt carts.

What do you guys think?
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #2
greg9719
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help a Sister out ...

Yes 42v is a thing. If I recall correctly that is what JohnnieB runs for greater run time/distance.
I’m more concerned about the dialogue about the uncertainty of the controller. Just by the way it’s written I’m not sure I’d want the person installing stuff for me. But I could be reading into it too much.
greg9719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:42 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Western converted some 36V PDS carts to 42V by adding a seventh 6V battery. They still used the stock PS controller (Curtis 1206MX) which limits the motor to about 4400RPM, which is about 19MPH on 18" tall tires. The max RPM for a stock PDS motor is 5600RPM (24MPH) with a 36V battery pack and about 6500RPM (28MPH) with a 42V battery pack, but with the controller limiting the motor to 4400RPM (19MPH) by backing off the internally so the max RPM isn't exceeded. So when you start going uphill, the motor is going to try to slow down, but the controller will try to keep the motor spinning at the max RPM limit and the net effect is the cart's speed stays about the same when going uphill. However, if the hill is steep enough or the load is heavy enough to slow the cart below the 19MPH max, then the cart will slow down going uphill. With 4 adults onboard, it won't take all that steep of a hill to get the cart to slow to less than 19MPH.

Basically, Western must have done the 7 X 6V battery pack for more range since the controller prevents it for getting more speed.

A stock PDS controller is 300A, but there are modified ones out there that'll pass 350A. Unfortunately, the are still in a case designed for 300A.

AS for having more range than a 48V pack, it depends on what combination of batteries are used to get 48V. An 8 X 6V 48V pack will have more range than a 7 X 6V 42V pack. In a nutshell, range is determined by how many kWh (kilo Watt hours) stored in the battery pack vs how many Wh the cart uses per mile. It is akin to gas mileage. If two cars weigh the same and have the same engine, the car with the biggest gas tank will go the furthest on a single tank of gas.

Need to find a competent cart mechanic, the dealer does not fall into that category to say the least.

-------------
Need to identify the drive system. The PDS will have a rock switch type F/R selector on the dash and a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:39 PM   #4
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Guys.

I’ll pass the info on to Sis.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:59 AM   #5
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

A few more questions guys . . .

If someone were starting out, would it be better to get the modified 40 v system or the 48 volt system.

The cart would be used on paved roads in a hot environment (Palm Desert) hauling 500-600 pounds of passengers around.

Which system would give the better range and power? Is a special (custom) charger required to get to 40v?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2021, 11:07 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The Western carts are heavy so some of the benefits of 42v operation will be negated by the extra weight. Remember performance is power to weight ratio.
For street use could be better served with a modern Ezgo TXT48 with a modest 400 Alltrax upgrade (460 peak) she will get the speed and the power needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
A few more questions guys . . .

If someone were starting out, would it be better to get the modified 40 v system or the 48 volt system.

The cart would be used on paved roads in a hot environment (Palm Desert) hauling 500-600 pounds of passengers around.

Which system would give the better range and power? Is a special (custom) charger required to get to 40v?

Thanks
EZGO stopped putting 36V battery packs in their golf carts in 2010 and they never used a 42V battery pack, that was something Western and individual cart owners did to their carts with 36V systems.

The battery charger has to match the voltage of the battery pack.

-------------
Has your sister already bought the Western?

If so it can be upgraded to a 48V drive system.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #8
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

She has the resources. Her husband too busy to play around with a cart.

I will Encourage her to buy new.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
She has the resources. Her husband too busy to play around with a cart.

I will Encourage her to buy new.

Thanks
I would say not new but newer TXT48. There is about $10,000 difference there
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO