lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Alameda Hornet
Not Yet Wild

Default Help me with a 97 Club Car

Our high school softball team has just been given a 1997 Club Car with the wooden bed, windshield and plastic wraps all around. It's great looking, problem is it won't run. I know nothing about these and I have invaded my Mother's garage to store it and I don't know how long she'll let me keep it in there. We pushed it in there, I popped open the seat and saw lots of corrosion on the terminals, one of the cables was down to a few threads. I cleaned up the teminals filled the batteries with distilled water, replaced the cables and hooked up the charger...nothing happened. I hooked up my other battery charger on the 6v setting and charged the batteries individually but I have no testing equipment to see if they're charged. When I turn the key on nothing happens, when I push the gas, nothing happens, when I put in reverse it buzzes, nothing else. Again, I know nothing about these and we don't have a lot of money to spend to get this thing running. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...
Alameda Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Help me with a 97 Club Car

You need to try and borrow a volt meter from someone so you can check the voltage in the batteries. Take a reading and write them down and post the numbers here so we can look at them. You can't do much work on an electric cart without a volt meter.

Get a wiring diagram from the sticky at the top of the forum and check all your wiring to make sure its all intact.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Alameda Hornet
Not Yet Wild

O.K., I'll work on that.Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
Alameda Hornet
Not Yet Wild

O.K., I borrowed a voltmeter and have 3 batteries close to 8 volts and the other 3 around .5. I checked the other cables and have at least one bad one so I need to cut it off and replace the terminal. I think I'll disconnect all the batteries and charge them individually, fix my cables and see what happens. Any other suggestions right now? Thanks for your help. P.S. got the wiring diagrams (thanks again) and accoridng to the voltmeter the charger is not working (again, any suggestions).
Old 04-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

you have 3 batts that spec at (.)5....point 5? Those are bad....don't even try to charge those. The charger won't come on unless you have around 28 volts or so in the pack.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm interested in the ones that are near 8 volts. They are 8 volt batteries. There is a way to charge these with a 12v automotive charger but it's not for the inattentive or lacadasicle type to try.....Sounds like U need three 8v batts just to begin to see what U have? Are you ready for that?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you can use a 12 volt charger on the 8 volt battery however don,t leave it un-attended and no more than 1/2 hour per battery........just be careful but you can do it.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
Alameda Hornet
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I have been using a 6/12 volt charger on the 6 volt setting and I think they're all charged up now (6-7 volts holding on all batteries charged independently). I'm headed over to replace a couple of cable terminals and with my fingers crossed press the accelerator and fly away. If not, I'll be back begging for more ideas. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
Alameda Hornet
Not Yet Wild

O.K., got the batteries charged, cables fixed. Hit the acelerator and yes! it tried to move. Unfortunately it feels like something in the power transmitting part of the cart isn't quite grabbing. It will move the cart a foot and then kind of make shimmy/wobble and lose traction. So, now what?

Also, I plugged the charger in because Roady89 said it wouldn't come on until the batteries had some life. The charger needle popped over to charge after a few seconds but then stopped. I noticed there is something that looks like a breaker but the rocker button on it appears broken. I unplugged it and bypassed the breaker. I'm assuming they wouldn't have made it so easy to bypass it if there was some danger in doing it. I plugged the cart back in and the charger seemed to be charging. I left it plugged in for a couple of minutes but decided to unplug it until I heard back from you all. More help please!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

A.H.,
I could use a little more insight!

What's the voltage of your cart? 36V or 48V?
3 cells per battery = 6V X 6 batteries = 36V
4 cells per battery = 8V X 6 batteries = 48V

does your cart charger say "Powerdrive" or "Powerdrive II" on it?
and when your charger kicked in, then out... did you wait a second or 2 for it to kick back in again?
(it is normal for the 48V "PD II" charger to do that, it's sensing the state of charge of your batteries from the OBC)

when you have an extra hour or 2 to just hang around, I would suggest plugging your cart charger back in,
and just check the charger gauge every 10 or 15 minutes to see if the gauge continues to drop!

If and when the gauge gets to around the "5" mark, unplug it and try to ride it again!
If the cart still reacts the same way, stop right there, disconnect the battery cables
and check the individual battery voltages again!
if the 3 batteries you had low readings on before, have low readings on them again after trying to ride it,
those batteries are bad! (you just did a "load test")

Right now, I would suggest NOT to leave your charger plugged in for longer then 6 hours,
until you know ALL of the batteries are in good shape and still hold voltage after a load test!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car