lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2020, 03:59 AM   #1
Tango2020
Not Yet Wild

Default 2017 Yamaha Drive2 48v DC vs AC

Buying my first cart tomorrow and I thought I was sold on the DC motor but now I’m wondering if I should pay the additional $500 for the cart with an AC motor. It’s just for neighborhood use but I do have some hills (North Georgia). My neighbor has a Club Car precedent with a DC and it does “ok” around here. I was recently told by a repair guy to stay away from ac because of the repair/replacement cost is so much more. Any thoughts on the best way to go as the dealer has both of these in stock 2017 Yamaha 48v AC and DC.
Tango2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
Croqezgo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2017 Yamaha Drive2 48v DC vs AC

$500 extra for AC drive? In my opinion you should take that. However, I am not sure if a stock AC controller can be configured as well as an Aftermarket one.
Croqezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
Tango2020
Not Yet Wild

I’m thinking the AC would be a better fit for my neighborhood hills. I just got a little concerned when someone I spoke too said they were so much more expensive to repair. Then reading different threads where people talk about how slow they are.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

AC carts in general are more expensive to repair, however they also generally require less repair than the DC system as the motors are brushless which is one of the biggest issues with the DC carts(Brushes sticking in motor or going bad or carbon build-up) - DC Yamahas have been around forever and 9/10 when I work on one...Its a DC cart, rarely have problems with an AC cart but when I do...Its usually an expensive one. Just some thoughts from a dealer...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Welsh619
Not Yet Wild

Slow!? Ok so I can’t speak from personal experience but I’m in the same position as you and all the reading I’ve done over the past couple weeks has suggested the opposite. My understanding is that to get an ac cart to the same level as dc cart with a motor and controller (wires etc) that you only have to do the controller (and probably wires) and not only will it be just as fast but won’t produce nearly the heat so will last longer. Look up what these guys are doing with the Curtis controllers on stock rxv’s, reviews on guys doing ac conversions, and what all the lithium people are doing. I sure hope I’m not misspeaking here and please if I am someone correct me. Also the yamahadealer, for about $150, can get you 19mph from that stock ac cart with uh, speed code?, please someone else help me out here I don’t want to steer this guy wrong but I think hes is informed either that or I am and then I’d definitely I felt like to know ha! Also what do you plan on using the cart for? That seems to be the question that asked all the time... ok thanks and good luck.
Welsh619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #6
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango2020 View Post
Buying my first cart tomorrow and I thought I was sold on the DC motor but now I’m wondering if I should pay the additional $500 for the cart with an AC motor. It’s just for neighborhood use but I do have some hills (North Georgia). My neighbor has a Club Car precedent with a DC and it does “ok” around here. I was recently told by a repair guy to stay away from ac because of the repair/replacement cost is so much more. Any thoughts on the best way to go as the dealer has both of these in stock 2017 Yamaha 48v AC and DC.
Repair Guys with advice against AC...hmmmmm

I would choose the AC. If you want more speed in the future the Navitas 440 or 600 TAC are simple plug and play retrofit which unlocks the power of the AC motor.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #7
Tango2020
Not Yet Wild

Well the dealer just contacted me to let me know that if I’m unsure about the Yamaha then he also has a 2018 Club Car precedent in my price range as well as a 2018 EZGO RXV for a little more. It’s just for neighborhood road use but we have some pretty good hills. I’m going to test drive them to see which I like better but I’m all over the board at this point 😐
Old 10-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would then choose the RXV for the much better ride. Do not let the dealer pump up the speed for you as they can sometimes corrupt the controller with the wrong adjustments. Bob Boyce on this site is your man for tuning that controller. Where are you located? Read more on this site about Bob Boyce upgrades to RXV controllers.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #9
Tango2020
Not Yet Wild

Ended up going with the RXV. It was the best going up hills when I tested them all. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #10
Welsh619
Not Yet Wild

Congrats and have fun! Be sure to look into the Curtis controller situation, seems like big smile on your face for very little cash...
Welsh619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha