lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
goldenknight
Not Yet Wild

Default 2013 Club car precedent

hey follow club car owners!

Just recently purchased a 2013 club car precedent. I added rims and had the car programmed to go a little faster-roughly 16-18 mph. Wondering based on previous upgrades to a alltrax speed controller and a better after market motor what type of speeds can you get. I don't want to get larger tires and really don't want to raise the cart. What have you seen? thank you in advance.
goldenknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: 2013 Club car precedent

16-18 mph is speed code 3, correct? What are your ultimate goals, and more importantly, your ultimate budget? If you want to squeak out a little bit of speed, a dealer will charge you around a C note for speed code 4, which is 19.2 or 19.5 MPH or thereabouts. With stock diameter tires, that is. No additional torque, just speed.

A speed magnet will trick the controller into thinking that the RPMs of the motor are 1/2 of what they REALLY are, which will also increase speed. You lose regen braking though, so if you're in a hilly area (I suspect Orlando, so no hills), that's no bueno.

Beyond that, and based on your goals/budget, adding a higher speed motor and/or controller will get you into the 20s without any difficulty. Yes, you need good batteries and decent cables with good connections. For some perspective, SWMBO's 2014 Precedent with stock controller and speed 4 does 27mph on stock diameter tires with an unknown modified motor. My DS IQ does 21 with stock motor, speed magnet, and an old Alltrax DCX controller. Future plans are for a 500a Alltrax and Executioner in the Precedent, with the Precedent motor finding it's way into the DS.

Hope this helps.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Speed magnets will not work on the newer controllers, I think the best option is to upgrade to an Alltrax XCT controller.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Sergio, how does the controller read the RPM of the armature? Is there something new with it? If so, what does the speed sensor do on them now? I had wondered if SWMBO's stock motor just had a magnet in it, but your information would destroy that theory.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

All controllers use the speed sensor to measure the motor rpm.

Starting with the Gray Excel controller there is software that actively monitors and prevents the use of speed magnets, I cannot think of any reason Club Car did that other than protect its profit from selling speed 4 codes.

That is just corporate greed since you already payed for the controller.

Some folks mentioned their White ERIC controllers worked with the speed magnet so maybe Club Car counter measures are not always effective.

Edit: PlumQuick has a "purple bandit" upgrade that circumvents those counter measures by reducing the amount of Regen the motor can produce which is related on how the controller is trying to determine if the motor is actually going faster than the speed sensor indicates.

I personally think the Altrax XCT is a better option than a "purple bandit" motor.

Last edited by Sergio; 01-17-2021 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: Note about modified motors.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car