lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
lostraider88
Not Yet Wild

Default J298 PDS or not

Just inherited EZ-GO cart. Name plate on passenger side says J298, I assume this is a '98 model. How do I tell if its a PDS or a non PDS? Or is it a DCS? I'm new to carts so please cut me a break. Found service manual on 2001 and newer, can I use trouble shooting from this manual on my older controller?

Last edited by lostraider88; 02-25-2008 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: adding more info
lostraider88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: J298 PDS or not

Your cart appears to be a '98 so it cannot be a PDS. It is either a Series/Fleet cart or a DCS cart. If there is a toggle switch (Run/Tow) on the controller cover under the passenger seat, it is a DCS. If it has a long metal rod from the Forward/Reverse lever to a mechanical looking switch assembly under the passenger seat, it is a Series/Fleet cart.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
lostraider88
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: J298 PDS or not

Thanks gornoman I appriciate the help. This is a great forum. I've already learned alot about my EZ-GO. I've jacked up the rear of the cart and it will go forward but when I go to reverse wheels don't turn but there is a clicking sound comming from the motor. I'm sure that this is not good for the motor but if you get the wheels spinning forward and throw it in reverse and hit the pedal the wheels go really fast. I think I'm having motor trouble. Can I use the trouble shooting technique found in the 2001 and later manual for diagnostics? I noticed EMP,Inc advertises on this site, What does a typical motor reman cost? I know it varies, and depends on what you have to work with. How much money can I sink into this project without getting too upside-down?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
I've jacked up the rear of the cart and it will go forward but when I go to reverse wheels don't turn but there is a clicking sound comming from the motor. I'm sure that this is not good for the motor but if you get the wheels spinning forward and throw it in reverse and hit the pedal the wheels go really fast. I think I'm having motor trouble.
I wouldn't do this anymore. It's not good for any of the components. My guess is you have a DCS cart and I would start by inspecting the microswitches on the F/R control.

Quote:
Can I use the trouble shooting technique found in the 2001 and later manual for diagnostics?
First you need to know which system you have, Series/Fleet or DCS. The series/Fleet carts haven't changed much since about '94, but the DCS carts ended in 2001 and were replaced by the PDS cart.

Quote:
I noticed EMP,Inc advertises on this site, What does a typical motor reman cost? I know it varies, and depends on what you have to work with.
Figure around $250 + shipping. They have an email request form on their site, and they actually respond to questions.

Quote:
How much money can I sink into this project without getting too upside-down?
How much money ya got??? If you are doing any of this to make a profit, fuggetaboudit. These babies are labors of love that don't sell well unless you have an active market in your area.

ps: Get a decent digital multimeter and learn how to use it. Can't troubleshoot/maintain a sparky without one!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
lostraider88
Not Yet Wild

Yes it is a DCS we have a toggle switch. I also noticed a faded sticker on the side that says "Drive Control System" Duh! Checked continuity thru the micro switches, OK.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO