lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
JBC
Not Yet Wild

Default Need help figuring out new cart - very puzzling!

Just purchased a new CC and I'm puzzled! The first couple of digits in the metal placard above the passenger footwell says 91, so I'm figuring that this is a 1991 DS Series cart. Odd thing is this. The charger that came with the cart says "for 36 volt systems only." The batteries are a total of 6 eight volt batteries (have four caps on each battery). Looking under the body at the motor, it's serial number incorporates the number 48 which makes me think this is a 48 volt cart. The previous owner says he knows nothing about the car since he had it for such a short time and wife just didn't get into using it. The charger receptacle is the V pattern of the 36 volt style. I don't get it. If this has been upgraded to a 48 volt, what harm could be done by using the 36 volt charger? Is it possible that the charger was somehow upgraded too? I do have a multimeter and can apply it to whatever is needed. I just can't figure this cart out, and I'm afraid to charge it under these circumstances. I'm betting that 99% of posters here have a better understanding in regards to golf carts than do I. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

JBC
JBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Need help figuring out new cart - very puzzling!

Welcome to BGW.

It's unlikely someone "upgraded" the chargers internals. It's just not economical. Can you post a picture of the charger? I would not use that charger until you can make sure it's the right one. It's quite possible you were given the wrong charger if perhaps the gentleman had a few carts or maybe worse, it could have been intentional.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum JBC

I agree........ You need a 48 volt charger if you have a 48volt battery pack.

Does the plug on the cart side of the charger match up with the recepticle on the cart?
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
JBC
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the welcome! And, thanks for the help (and so quickly!) I just looked at the charger and it's a Lestronic II. Says DC 36 Volt and the previous owner swears that he's used this charger to charge the cart several times. Will it just undercharge the batteries if I use it? And, does it appear that this is a genuine 48 volt cart? Seems too old to be a 48 in my limited knowledge. Here's the numbers on the cart. The carts serial number is: A9103234745. The motor itself reads: model - 5BC48JB764. The batteries are 2/07 Energizer 8 volts.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
JBC
Not Yet Wild

Charger end on the Lestronic II matches the receptacle on the cart.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Just on what you have told.......... He has been undercharging the batteries and they need to be charged with the proper charger.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Serial comes up as a 1991 DS electric. Possible someone upgraded the cart to 48 volts. The charger is not the right charger for a 48 volt cart. I would imagine it's slower than normal and YES it will hurt the batteries not fully being charged.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

With the charger plugged in and charging, measure the voltage across the backside of the recepticle and let us know.

(or whever you can get on the circuit - battery pac is ok.)
Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
JBC
Not Yet Wild

The V pattern of the receptacle and the matching one on the charger seem to me to be consistent with a 36 Volt application. I thank you all again for your help so far, and tomorrow I guess I'll hook up the charger and report back on the voltage. Sure don't want to hurt the batteries with the 36V charger. I'm guessing right now without much more information, that the cart was somehow upgraded to a 48 volt by way of new motor and 8V batteries, but the thing is, the darned V pattern charger and receptacle are reminescent of a 36V cart! I'll try to take pics tomorrow too. Thanks to both of you for so much help so quickly. I really do appreciate it!

JBC
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Catch ya tomorrow.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car