lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Travcojosh
Not Yet Wild

Default 1971 Harley Davidson Operation System of Events

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a 1971 Harley Davidson Electric golf cart. I picked it for a decent price and towed it home. The unit did not have batteries and the previous owner didn't know anything about it. I placed some batteries in the old girl over the weekend and unfortunately it would not run. I mean nothing, no click of a solenoid nothing.

I ran the motor tests that I found on this forum and was able to get the motor to run. If I jumper power to the solenoid coils I can move the speed controller to the third position and it will run in both forward and reverse (depending on jumpers/ key yellow to key blue vs key yellow to key green). Last night I found that the delay relay is bad (the glass and metal fell apart in my hands).

I have 3 new solenoids, key switch (its missing the key), a new delay relay and mount kit ordered. Now I am hoping that you can assist me in understanding the system of events that occurs from turning the key to the motor hitting top speed (full 36volts). I am used to cars and a powered key switch, but for the life of me I cannot see how the yellow wire on the switch is powered. If it helps I have added a picture of the wiring diagram that I colorized.

Travcojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Travcojosh
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1971 Harley Davidson Operation System of Events

I've been looking at the diagram some more and I'm questioning my understanding of what the #8 circuit breaker is for. On one post is the + terminal of a battery and the other is routed to the speed control. I'm starting to think that the system is using the circuit breaker as a power off control. When the pedal is at rest, the power of the battery passes through the circuit to the speed control lever. This then touches the first contact which is connected to the negative post of a battery. Does this short cause a greater than 135amp draw opening the breaker? When the pedal is depressed do the two wires on the speed control level then send power or do the two wires provide a ground?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Travcojosh
Not Yet Wild

My second post was correct. I was thinking things backwards expecting the key'd wires to be power wires and they are pathways! I bypassed the circuit breaker and I now have three speed! I hope with the time delay installed I will have all 4 speeds and reverse!
Old 03-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
c2fulton.cf
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travcojosh View Post
My second post was correct. I was thinking things backwards expecting the key'd wires to be power wires and they are pathways! I bypassed the circuit breaker and I now have three speed! I hope with the time delay installed I will have all 4 speeds and reverse!
Hello sir, I just acquired a 71 electric harley yesterday. It came with a few extra solenoid and charger. All the batteries are there but are somewhat dry. Need to fill them and try to charge it and go from there. Never worked on one of these, but have a feeling you may be the keeper of knowledge! I'd like to follow your posts and possibly ask questions from time to time if that's okay? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
c2fulton.cf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Harley Davidson