lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Melex 252 solenoid question

Hey guys, got a 252 Melex 36 volt. just got it running, had to replace all the cables. took it for the first run drove it about a half a block and back and could smell something. Popped the seats and found that the Solenoid was really hot. I put it in the garage and cut the key and unhooked the positive from the first battery just to be safe until I could trouble shoot it. any ideas as to why this would be? my current connections (as the were when I got it) has one side going to the motor and the other going to the speed controller. I have my main lead to the battery connected to the motor on the positive side and the negative to the F/R Switch. I am not sure if this is right or not I put it back as it was when I got it. I did notice that one of the charger wires were cooked and I did replace it. is it possible that the solenoid is going bad? is this normal? does any one have any idea where I could find a wire diagram to go off of?

Any info would be great!

Thanks

Arin
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Melex 252 solenoid question

Find your Melex 252 wiring diagram here:

http://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/...ategory=100017
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Great thanks ScottyB
Old 04-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Found my issue the solenoid was getting to much voltage on the switch side. I set it at 6V and everything is fine. Took a little trial and error but I did get it figured out.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
nineiron6
Not Yet Wild

How did you adjust the voltage at the ignition switch. Ken
nineiron6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
hbondurant
Not Yet Wild

Did you replace the solenoid when re-wiring? 36 volt carts need CONTINUOUS 36 volt solenoid. Car solenoids will not work. They are only designed to start a car.
hbondurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

hey guys. sorry for the slow reply but been a hectic few months. i used the solenoid that came with the cart but hooked up at 36v it got so hot you couldn't touch it. I just moved the power for the switch post down to 1 battery instead of the string(all the power still hooked up to all 6 batteries) and it took care of the problem. it would engage, pass 36v but didn't get hot any more.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
deanche
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Don't ya just luv Melex... I Have one with a Curtis Industries model 1204-001 controller in it. It appears that it has met it's demise. I can jumper around it and get the moter to spin. So the Question is Does any one have a schematic diagram for this controller? Deanche
deanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I have no idea on that one. I would do some searching on line you should be able to find one. I have been debating on changing over a controller from the resistor swipe board. I am in the mode that I want speed. Just need to see if that can be done with one this old. I am looking at a new motor too. I want to be able to run in the 25 mph range. I am currently in the 15-17 range.

Hopefully you can find something.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanche View Post
Don't ya just luv Melex... I Have one with a Curtis Industries model 1204-001 controller in it. It appears that it has met it's demise. I can jumper around it and get the moter to spin. So the Question is Does any one have a schematic diagram for this controller? Deanche
If the controller is bad, just change it out, good time to upgrade or get a cheaper Logitec one.
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex