lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Steering assembly problem

I made a trip to the mailbox in my 2008 txt and the steering suddenly locked up. I managed to limp back to the shop and pushed the flexible shielding back and found that the remains of a collar or something was causing it to bind. I was able to easily pull out what is now just a chunk of metal, but I put it back where I found it and made this pic:

The steering is now freed up and seems to be working normally, but I still have the front end on a block. Here is the metal remains of whatever part this is:

Can anyone tell me the function of this part and advise me on what to do? Can I run the cart without it? If it's essential, is it possible to replace it, or do I need a new steering assembly? It looks like I can buy a new Chinese made one for $80 or an EZGO for $350. Unless it's dangerous, I'm thinking I can just run it until it completely quits, but I'd hate for it to unexpectedly lock up running 25 mph.

Many thanks for any advice.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Steering assembly problem

Your picture is not showing up on my browser. I believe you are talking about the bushing from the end of the rack. You want that. If the housing is not worn out in that spot you can get a replacement. However as inexpensive as the new racks are, a new unit is a reasonable option. Get it with the new tierod installed. Check the vendors here or Amazon, you can pick one up for less than $80.00.
ORTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORTitan View Post
Your picture is not showing up on my browser. I believe you are talking about the bushing from the end of the rack. You want that. If the housing is not worn out in that spot you can get a replacement. However as inexpensive as the new racks are, a new unit is a reasonable option. Get it with the new tierod installed. Check the vendors here or Amazon, you can pick one up for less than $80.00.
Many thanks for the reply. I suppose that most people on here have probably never taken a steering assembly apart and don't know what the part does, but a bushing sounds reasonable. I would think the function is to either hold the grease in place or to prevent the rack from moving too far. I greased the rack and slid the flexible shield back over it and ran the cart a couple of miles and it's steering normally.

I used Postimage for the pics; I don't know why they don't show up on your browser. If you would be willing to help further, if you could pm me an email or cell number I will send you the pics.

I take it you have used the $80 assemblies and they work ok? Thanks again for the reply.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry my computer is 9 years old and gets senile sometimes. I can see your picture now.

Yes that looks like the bushing that was at the very end of the aluminum rack housing where the steel shaft comes out. If you look at the end of the housing you can see a diameter bored there that is a bit larger. That is where the bushing goes.

Not having the bushing in there allows more clearance for the rack to move around and it could bind. In time it will also start eating away at the housing.

After a quick search I am not finding a replacement for that bushing. What shows up are the brass/bronze bushing for the ezgo's with the steering rack mounted under the dash. Do not get these they will NOT fit.

Get a new rack. OEM EZGO will be more expensive and possibly (likely) made in China. The under a $100 Chinese from Amazon look fine, I have installed 5 of these this summer in my rental fleet. So far no problems, only time will tell. I am usually replacing steering racks from people (drunks) playing bumper cars and breaking the aluminum housings. OEM EZGO or otherwise.
ORTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORTitan View Post
Sorry my computer is 9 years old and gets senile sometimes. I can see your picture now.

Yes that looks like the bushing that was at the very end of the aluminum rack housing where the steel shaft comes out. If you look at the end of the housing you can see a diameter bored there that is a bit larger. That is where the bushing goes.

Not having the bushing in there allows more clearance for the rack to move around and it could bind. In time it will also start eating away at the housing.

After a quick search I am not finding a replacement for that bushing. What shows up are the brass/bronze bushing for the ezgo's with the steering rack mounted under the dash. Do not get these they will NOT fit.

Get a new rack. OEM EZGO will be more expensive and possibly (likely) made in China. The under a $100 Chinese from Amazon look fine, I have installed 5 of these this summer in my rental fleet. So far no problems, only time will tell. I am usually replacing steering racks from people (drunks) playing bumper cars and breaking the aluminum housings. OEM EZGO or otherwise.
Thank you for all that great info. I will order one of the Chinese units.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
JaxPilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I recently ordered a complete steering assembly from DIY Golfcarts, at less than the price of the OEM EZGO housing only. It was for a 99 TXT, mounted under the dash, but the quality of the parts were excellent.
JaxPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO