lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #1
runningdownadream
Not Yet Wild

Default 93 Club Car DS wont kick over after it has been driven for 20 min

Hey All, I am new to the carting world but not new to working under the hood.

I inherited a 1993 Club Car DS, it had not been driven for two years and I was told that prior to that it was intermittent in running properly.

Here is what is happening now (and ill post what I have done so far after)
If I start it up in the morning it turns right over and off I go, but after running for about 20 min, if I stop, it will spin but not start again. Sometimes it has a whining electrical sound for a couple seconds before it starts to spin (but still wont kick over and go). If I wait 45 min or so, it will start up again and drive normal. If I drive for 5 min or even 10, then stop and start again, it goes right away. Seems to be an issue with something getting too hot maybe?

I have
Replaced
The micro switches
The carb
The fuel pump and filters
The fuel itself
The Air filter
The solenoid
The spark plug
The battery
The voltage regulator (which was the original issues with the battery not charging)

Reading on these forums I am thinking my next stop is to replace the Ignitor and or Rev Limiter? If that doesn't work then move on to the coil?

Could be the starter/generator? But I am getting appropriate voltage from it now that the regulator was replaced.

Any input or guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
runningdownadream is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 93 Club Car DS wont kick over after it has been driven for 20 min

First just try disconnecting the rev limiter’s brown wire from the eyelet on the bolt next to it. And make sure the ignitor has a nice solid connection on the space terminal behind it.

If that doesn’t make any difference I’d replace the coil. Get an oem coil from revolution golf cars and not an aftermarket one. You can delete the ignitor and go with a newer style coil at the same time, killing 2 birds with one stone. Those ignitors are kinda pricey and you’d still be running a nearly 30 year old coil. I’d just get the newer style coil. A little extra wiring (actually just removing the ignitor and a couple extra wires) will save you hassle and money in the long run.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:14 AM   #3
runningdownadream
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, ill try that this week and update the post!
Old 06-21-2021, 08:28 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just to clarify, I would confirm there is no spark before spending any money on parts. It sounds like that is the issue, but I’d make sure first.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #5
runningdownadream
Not Yet Wild

ok Rev limiter seemed to be the issue ...
replaced it and the igniter as I was in there already.
Thank you for the answers and suggestions!

as with every fix, a new issue comes up ...

the issue now is when i step on the gas there is a whirring sound ... a spinning whirring sound that starts at a high pitch and over the course of about 7 seconds it gets lower until the starter goes and it kicks over right away.

So, I am mobile and the issue with the getting stuck after 20 min or driving is over, so not a big rush but I would like to fix this issue as well as I am sure it will eventually lead to something else going. Any suggestions on what to look at next is appreciated!

EDIT: to clarify, while the whirring sound is happening the engine is NOT trying to kick over ... just that spinning whirring sound and then on the first kick it starts and goes. sorry, best way i can think to explain it
Old 07-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Check the belt on the starter/generator and make sure it is tight. If it is frayed or cracked, replace it with an oem belt from revolution golf cars. Don’t use an aftermarket belt, they’re garbage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car