lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
EZGOnSAVAGE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default No spark - coil test?

Sometimes I get spark and sometimes not. I'm suspecting it's the coil, but is there a way to test it before going out and buying one ? Any help would be appreciated. "Thanks"
EZGOnSAVAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
firecart1
Getting Wild

Default Re: No spark - coil test?

For the "Sanford way" you could get a known good spark plug and place the spark plug wire on it and ground the base of the spark plug wire on the engine. If it lights, the coil is working. If it dosen't, time for an HEI mod!! (The best $40 you will spend with your clothes on!!)
firecart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
EZGOnSAVAGE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for your input. I've allready eliminated the spark plug as being the source, as well as cleaned ALL my grounds, etc. etc.. Tell me more about this HEI modification you mentioned. What I'm dealing with is an 87' Robins EC25D, 244cc. I just rebuilt the motor and about a month or so later is when it started to do the "have spark" "don't have spark" thing. I'm always looking to do any upgrade possible on this thing, so I'd be happy to hear about your suggestion. "Thanks"
Old 06-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

here, my friend, is the HEI mod in a nutshell:

As to the coil, there are a few ways to go, you can use a high-output automotive style (slight overkill and a few extra $) OR you can hit Ebay for a 12v high-output universal ATV coil (which is what I did, CRAZY good spark, reliable as can be for over a year now, and a whopping $13) ... WHile you're doing the mod (if you do) there are a few MAJOR points to remember:

1: Make SURE you have excellent metal-to-metal, TIGHT contact between the frame of the cart and the HEI module. They run VERY hot and need to be bolted flat and tight to keep from burning up (the frame acts as a perfect heatsink) - grind off the paint on the frame behind the module and bolt it on, and you should be just fine (see ugly pic)

2: after doing the mod, theres a 50/50 chance that your cart will start and run at about 1/2 power, if it does you need to reverse the red and blue wires from the pulsar to the HEI module (some pulsars - again, about 50/50 - are just weird that way)

The mod will give you a far stronger, more consistant spark than the factory ignitor which generally results in easier starting, less choking, and more efficient combustion / running - as mentioned above, $40 well spent indeed!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
EZGOnSAVAGE
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

WOW! "Thanks" I have to say I have'nt used this forum often but when I've needed to everyone, like yourself, has been more than helpful. "Thanks Again" for the information, as soon as I get a chance to do this I am definately going to. Hopefully this weekend. Have a safe and happy 4th of July :-)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
Edward-D-Palmer
Not Yet Wild

Is there a way to test an EPI Model EPICG105 ignition coil ?

Thanks in advance
Edward-D-Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO