lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
ezgobob60
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Slow Melex

I have a 1990 Melex electric with a controller, model 262 serial #184978
also has a high /low speed switch. how can I get more speed from cart?
present speed about 12mph. Would changing the controller help or do I need to change motor. Cart is 36 volts.
ezgobob60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Default Re: Slow Melex

The answer I got to this question was to convert to 48 volts (add 2 6v batteries in series in the pack), which may require replacing the 36v solenoid with a 48v solenoid. I haven't converted mine yet, and in fact mine is currently running only 30 volts (still short one battery in the pack). I hope to convert mine later this month. I'm taking the dead battery back for replacement, and will buy two more at the same time, so I can upgrade.

It's that or I might get 8 12v batteries, and run 2 sets of 4 in series (48v with two parallel banks for longer run time). The only reason for the 12v batteries is I can get some very cheap (free actually).

If you convert yours, let me know how you like it. :)
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you are going to run 12v batts you best be getting them for free....they won't last long - they hate the routine.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Yeah, we get batteries for free quite regularly, some new, some not, but they're usually fine. I figure for free I won't complain, and if I run two banks of 48v it shouldn't be quite as bad/rough. I won't let them get drained too far before I charge. I don't drive that far usually, so I'd probably just top things off every so often, and not "deep cycle" them if I can help it. We do get deep cycle batteries often enough though, that it shouldn't be too bad. Not as nice as running the 8 6v's, but 4 12v's will do me just fine for the use it'll get.

Who knows, I might end up just selling the electric cart so I can start building my 600cc gasser. I kind of enjoy the electric though. It's quiet, and keeps me away from the gas station. I haven't driven my van more than once in the past week and a half, and that one drive was only 2 blocks to get my daughter because my son fell asleep so I had to put him in the car seat instead of taking the cart. lol
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
tcarter
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Got a question. If you add extra batteries, what else do you need to do? Sounds like a solenoid to match the volts. maybe an extra battery or two nothing real crazy. I have some extra Trojans that dont fit into the regular battery compartment. I could place them in the compartments under the bed or just in the bed. dont want to destroy my cart.
tcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex