lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #121
TimmysMom
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Melex 212 Refurb

Thanks, George!

The handyman has checked the charge with just that thingy (tech talk) that lights up when you touch the batteries, but not something that actually tells you the voltage.

Hopefully, what you wrote, will help me convince my boss to open his very squeaky wallet!
TimmysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #122
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Thought I'd post an update with a picture. Since my last picture post I've removed all the rear sheet metal, pulled the the rear axle/motor, welded in new angle iron for battery racks, and turned the cart on its side so I could weld looking down on the parts. Today I finished lowering the spring shackles the on the drivers side in the rear. I also welded the lowered shock mount on the passenger side since it was accessible at this point. I'll weld in the drivers side when I turn the cart over and do the passenger side spring mounts. I'm embarassed on the quality of my welds, but I'm very glad to be making progress again. Sure wish I was better at this fab stuff. I temporarily put one spring in place to show how much it was lowered. I'm thinking I'll leave the battery bay open on the bottom since it's just a hunting cart. And Scotty, my 212 didn't have a sway bar either, just the 112. I'm thinking I'll leave the sway bar disconnected unless there's a good reason to keep using it.

George

gstoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #123
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

I was going to go hog hunting today, but with the rain I stayed home and finished the welding on the rear part of the homemade Melex lift. Then, since I'm just a few miles from Mikes Motor Toys, I drove over and picked up a set of 22" wheels. It took most of the afternoon to put the rear end back under the cart and get it back up on its wheels. I'm still playing with the shocks, but its finally starting to look like a cart again. Sure is nice to see it sitting level with the new wheels. Now I need to hook up the brake cable, put the batteries in, and play with it a little bit before I work on the sheet metal.

It was nice to meet Mike and talk for a few minutes. He knows his stuff and was very helpful, I highly recommend him.

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear_on_wheels.jpg (57.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Lift_complete.jpg (54.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #124
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Mike knows his stuff
Good to see you maKing progress. My old 212 didn't have a sway bar......and neither did my 512
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #125
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Wahoo, I just got back from taking the lifted Melex around the block! No sheetmetal on it yet, but it drove just fine. It sure feels different, being that high. I felt like I was in a Jeep. I should've had the wife come out and take a picture. Did a trial fitting with some of the sheet metal when we got back. Now I need to come up with a camo scheme to paint on it and buy some 6v batteries. Shouldn't be too long now before I hog hunt out of it.

George
Old 05-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #126
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

looks good...
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #127
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Made a little more cart progress this weekend. I welded a small sheet metal patch on the drivers side fender sheet metal where it was rusted out , my first try at doing that. I took another lap around the block today after trial fitting most the sheet metal back on the cart. I still have the front of the battery box to put on, but at least it looks like a cart again. Hope to hunt out of it for the first time this weekend. Then I will give it a camo paint job, fab up a box for the back, and put on some trim. I'm slow, but persistant.

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheet_metal-tst.jpg (32.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #128
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Almost done. In the last few days:
  • Slimed the tires to handle the mesquite thorns at the lease.
  • Bent and welded brackets and mounted front basket
  • Blocked up the spring on the drivers side to level the cart.
  • Added a headlight and back-up light and wired them to switches.
  • Put the arm rests back on the cart.
Still left to do:
  • Mount a 12v accessory battery.
  • Repair the seat backs and install them.
  • Add green and brown camo paint patterns.
  • Install a gun rack to the front basket.
It's ready to hunt now but hopefully I'll have all the camo done before I get out hog hunting again for it's maiden voyage as a hunting cart. I can see places I still need to paint (or overspray I shouldn't have painted) in the pictures. The jury's still out on whether I leave the front basket wider than the cart or take it off and cut it down.

George

Old 06-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #129
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Crud, I spoke too soon. I took it out for a long drive tonight and after one time around the block I noticed it beginning to slow down. I stopped and measured the pack voltage and it looked to be exactly 36v. I went back home and picked up the GPS and discovered that the cart was only doing 10mph at top speed as opposed to 13 the last time I clocked it. When I turned in the driveway it labored a little going up the driveway. I could smell it was hot when I pulled in the shop, but since it's a resistor cart and I was driving pretty slow at the end that didn't surprise me. I checked all the battery connections and they were cool. However, the wire to the solenoid, the wire to the motor from the pack, and all the resistor wires were quite warm. The motor was also pretty warm. Seems to me I'm pulling too much current, but I don't know why that would be. I hadn't really pushed the cart up till now so it's possible there was a latent problem there all the time. Not exactly sure where to start troubleshooting. Any ideas?

George
Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #130
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Doh, I had the brake adjusted too tight. Thank goodness. George
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex