lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Numbers
Not Yet Wild

Default Increase HP in 2015 EZ GO S4

Hey everyone - been searching for this answer but could not find it, thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I have a 2015 EZGO with the 13.5 hp Kawasaki engine. I have looked high and low for performance parts for this engine. Not finding anything.

Anyone got a source for performance parts for this engine? Also ideas on what is best place to start? I figure upgrading the exhaust should come first, looks like what is there is extremely restrictive. I am not trying to drag race the buggy, just get more torque and hp.

Thanks!
Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
EZ GO L4 Beach
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Increase HP in 2015 EZ GO S4

I can't see any "performance" part really doing much for these engines other than a new clutch, which will net you torque down low but sacrifice your top end. An exhaust on a small hp motor like this isn't going to give you anything significant. It actually may wind up leaning out your a/f ratio and hurting your motor. If you adjust the governor, you should be able to top out in the mid to high twenty mph without floating the valves. I've seen 30 in mine, consistent 28.x on flat ground.
EZ GO L4 Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

First and Foremost, keep in mind (along with the aforementioned "Valve Float") that your cart has plastic governor gears in the rear end, which are known to "grenade" under sustained high speeds (which leaves a REAL mess) - if You're going to tweak the Kawasaki drivetrain at *all* it's best to take the preventative route and remove them from your transaxle entirely. I've seen them let go on stock carts that had nothing done but governor tweaking, they just weren't designed for anything over 15mph or so and when You start cranking things down and running at 18-20mph+ it's basically just lighting the fuse. That whole drivetrain is a great example of "just because You CAN doesn't mean You SHOULD" ...

the TEAM clutch upgrade for the 401's is a HUGE upgrade, and definitely the single-best thing You can do for that cart. 20% more power to the ground over stock and the same final ratio as stock so no decrease in top end.

As mentioned above, keep in mind that You *will* start having fuel issues if You change the stock exhaust, at very least You will need to drill out your jets in proportion to how much You are upping the flow but that can get rather hard to get right and generally results in sacrifices with starting, low-speed running, etc.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Those motors hate to be turned up. Rod threw the block due is end result.
High speed gears to keep RPM down is the answer.
I agree also that the rear ends are weak also. Bad thing is high speed gears don't help them last any longer.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
doo dah
Gone Wild

Old thread but I've been searching awhile for more power and all I come across is adjusting the governor. My cart is a 2013 but I have 25" tires so even though I run 25mph+ for long periods up and down the beach I have yet to experience an issue with the motor or axle. I assume because of the large tires RPM is down and therefore less stress at that higher speed, don't know. I also did Gboost belt, springs, and rebuilt the clutch which helped with torque and actually did not impact top end. Ultimately an engine swap is only thing that will get more actual power.
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
EZ GO L4 Beach
Not Yet Wild

Ran my S4 from 2014 to just selling it this weekend, ran perfectly with the governor maxed out. I ran it at full speed rarely, typically around 15-20 most of the time, maybe that helped.
EZ GO L4 Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO