lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2019, 09:42 PM   #11
JRL
Gone Wild

Default Re: Push Pins for body Fastener?

OK. The rivnut idea has a lot going for it.
A touch of neverseize and proper torque should give good results.
Cartmaster warned that plastic fasteners tend to loosen. I'm sure.
Since the old rivet holes are already drilled, I have locating holes "predrilled".
I think this is where I'm going. What you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41mjLMjnY7L._AC_SY400_.jpg (19.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190123_143217.jpg (504.0 KB, 0 views)
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2019, 02:45 AM   #12
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I would go with the rivnuts, i use them a lot in my shop for replacing nuts and bolts with awkward access on large industrial mowers. Once installed correctly, plenty of anti seize grease and dont overtighten the screws and you will be fine. I also use them to install fenders on wheel arches etc for a nice tidy job. you can also get stainless steel ones which should be fixable with the heavy duty installation tool you show in your post. Less likely to rust and dont strip the thread easy like the soft ones. you will have to be resourceful on the join between the dash and front cowl as it is all plastic, hence the reason EZGO use bifurcated rivets here. Maybe use 5mm rivnuts and sandwich washers between the plastic cowl tabs and rivnut for a firm fix and then use 5mm short bolts for fixings.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:50 AM   #13
buildit
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ah, I think a previous poster was referencing these maybe? I've used them before with good success.

https://www.amazon.com/RUBBER-NUT-TH.../dp/B015EVZLQC
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #14
Olddog72
Gone Wild

Check out rawl nuts
Olddog72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Rivnuts work great. The correct tool like above "bolt cutter style" is a must. The "quik clik" rivet gun type works if you have popeye arms but have to squeeze like crazy. Aluminum rivnuts are easier to compress and may work better with that style tool.

But I don't see why make it so difficult. I'd try this https://www.ebay.com/p/100pcs-Fender...7160469&chn=ps

I haven't used them specifically on a dash, but have no reason to believe why they wouldn't work. it doesn't flex, and i've pretty seriously abused some 4wheelers that are completely held together with those things and rarely if ever have them come loose or pop off. Just make sure the hole is drilled to the right size and it should be fine. Worst case, they don't work as you'd hoped and you've still (already) got the holes drilled for rivnuts. but for $5 it's a quick easy solution definitely worth a try.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:17 AM   #16
JRL
Gone Wild

Those things are called "well nuts". Amazon is right proud of the things may I suggest. They work ok with plastic screws, but are famous for binding up after use. I've dealt with them on scoot fairings. They work well for light applications. Ordered the rivnut thing and a bucket of aluminum 6mm rivnuts. As stated, the aluminum will go in much easier, and a touch of antiseize will assure easy disassembly. Might do a few rivnuts for strength and pop pins to fill in where they don't stand out. Also believe that I can install rivnuts into the front body by backing the rivnut with a thin washer. ?? I have bought out ebay...just waiting for tiny bits.
Thanks for all the input!
Old 01-25-2019, 02:21 AM   #17
JRL
Gone Wild

Those fender clips look promising...Anand cheap! I like cheap. Sometimes..
Old 01-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Those fender clips look promising...Anand cheap! I like cheap. Sometimes..
They're plenty strong. Honda 4wheeler plastic bodies are almost entirely attached by them. There's like 4 small bolts that attach the body to the cargo racks so they don't flop around, but the rest is entirely those plastic body clips. I've bounced off of ruts, trees, all sorts of stuff out in the woods and never had one come apart on me. As long as the holes are drilled the right size, they're easy to remove and hold up great to all sorts of abuse.

$5 for 100 clips, you can't really go wrong. The holes are about the same size you would use to drill out and fasten rivnuts anyway, so worst case if it doesn't work out just throw them out and then attach the rivnuts. you're only out $5 for trying, but I think they'd more than do the job. Dashboard in a golf cart won't see nearly the flexing and abuse that a 4wheeler fender/bumper/foot wells will see in the woods!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO