lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
Ezgowow
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2005 ezgo st sport 350cc will not start

Thanks for the advice. I've bought from buggies unlimited, what places do ya'll suggest?
Ezgowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I usually get ezgo parts from my local dealer but I believe David hicks at revolution golf carts (site sponsor) Carrie's ezgo as well. His site doesnt have much, you'll have to give him a call
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #13
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgowow View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've bought from buggies unlimited, what places do ya'll suggest?
Did you see my post. What parts are you buying ? I am only trying to help you save money. It's your call. Good luck.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:39 AM   #14
Ezgowow
Not Yet Wild

Got a in line spark tester and it seems to work light up fine nothing unusual from what I can see.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
Ezgowow
Not Yet Wild

So I have noticed that the fuel pump is has a leak or it is dripping gas. I replaced all the fuel lines just to make sure and of course broke off the nipple on the gas tank fitting from the tank to the pump. I rigged it up and the pump is definitely leaking not the hoses. I assume if that the pump is leaking/dripping that could be enough to mess the gas ratio enough to stop it from running right?
Old 04-08-2019, 08:23 AM   #16
Ezgowow
Not Yet Wild

I'm going to buy a pump I'm going to roll the dice and buy a non OEM unit. I'm not paying $250 for one. I'll do a $60-$100 job. If that fixes it and it fails then I'll spend the money. I do understand and can appreciate what ya'll are saying about the parts but can't stomach $250 for a pump on a golf cart
Old 04-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #17
Ezgowow
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Did you see my post. What parts are you buying ? I am only trying to help you save money. It's your call. Good luck.
I didn't see what post you were referring to about the parts. I did see the in line spark tester suggestion and bought one. Thanks
Old 04-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #18
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgowow View Post
I didn't see what post you were referring to about the parts. I did see the in line spark tester suggestion and bought one. Thanks
I just didn't want you to start installing parts to get this things going. What we were referring to is using aftermarket ignition parts like coil and ignitors. . I have have used aftermarket coils and had issues with them. Most are made cheap.

Ignitors very rarely go bad. I always test the charging system on these carts to make sure the voltage regulator is working and not letting it over charge to say 16 volts. When they do then there goes the ignitors.

Another killer of these ignitors is starting a cart when connected to a 200 amp battery charger. At least that is what I have found . I fried one doing this and never again.

I never suggested an inline spark tester. The one I showed you is what I always use, if it fires when using this one there is nothing wrong with fire, 99 % of the time anyway. I just never liked the inline ones but that is just me.
I have never heard of a $250 fuel pump. I would never pay that much myself. Fix the pump the cheapest way you can and let us know how it goes.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Agreed 100% with Trig. There are parts where aftermarket is perfectly fine... fuel pump is one of them. I've even used polaris fuel pumps from an old 4wheeler on a golf cart with no problems. They're all basically the same principle... pulse line actuates a diaphragm and pumps the gas. The only difference between a generic $10 fuel pump and a $100 fuel pump that's specifically for your cart is that you may have to get a little creative to mount the $10 one. But functionally they're all basically the same. And they don't need to move a lot of gas, just enough to keep the float bowl full in the carb. You can run a good quarter to half mile on a bowl full of gas, so the NECESSARY fuel flow to the carb is minimal at most. It's not like a fuel injected motor where it's not going to run if it goes under 100psi.

As for spark testers, my personal thought is I don't like the inline testers. They can be very misleading. I recently helped another member here with his Yamaha. He used an inline spark tester like that, and it had spark. But when I told him I don't trust those, pulled the plug and grounded the plug... no spark. Jumping the gap in a spark plug takes a lot more "juice" than what is required for the inline testers. Plus they also don't necessarily always lead the right direction if you have a bad plug... I've seen plugs where the lead is broken inside the ceramic where you can't see it. people chasing ignition coils and all sorts of expensive parts for a $2 spark plug because "it worked fine with the inline tester".

Just my opinion anyway. Sure sometimes you maybe had a couple too many beers and they bite back lol but i guess that's the chance you take. At least the results are accurate :)

AS for the fuel pump messing with the mixture, that's not going to happen. The carb is what creates the air/fuel mix. The fuel pump's only job is to keep the float bowl full in the carb.

Just to note, I still haven't see where a compression test was ever done? The motor needs 3 things to run... Fuel, spark, and squish. you know you have fuel (or had before you broke the nipple...) and you have spark. If you broke a ring or something then there's no amount of troubleshooting you can do that's going to fix it without tearing it down and rebuilding. You'd be just wasting your time trying to chase down problems that may not really exist. Go to Autozone, rent a compression tester. Spend the 5 minutes to check the compression (make sure throttle is wide open when you're cranking). Do it for both cylinders, then take the tester back. They'll refund your money 100% so it's actually a "loaner tool" they just charge you full price to purchase the tool up front in case you don't bring it back.

There's always the possibility of timing but you can check that easy enough with a timing light. Rotate the engine so it is at TDC and use a neon paint pen to mark the primary clutch at TDC. Then hook up the timing light, put it in neutral, hit the pedal and watch your timing mark flash. It's not exact, but will give you an idea of when it's firing. I believe this motor has a "wasted spark" ignition fire, which means it will fire every time, even if it's on the exhaust stroke. So it should not matter which wire you hook the timing light to.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #20
Ezgowow
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much for your insight I will go get one tomorrow and do the compression test.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO