lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
palmettojoe
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation ST350 Running rich, popping on low RPM

Just purchased a 2004 ST350 and looking to get it to run as good as possible. It does start and run, but not like I think it should. I just pulled the plugs and they were black, with even some carbon between the electrodes on one of the plugs, NGK BP5ES. I think I read where the carbs really have no adjustment, so my next question is this indication of a valve adjustment or?

I'm going to go get a couple of new plugs and see if this helps, or gives me more indication, with some run time, if it really is running this rich and what is next to do?

Im no small engine builder, but I hope to be able to do minor repairs, adjustments with the guidance of some of you good folk!

This cart's history was that it was a grounds maintenance cart for University of the State of Florida.

So, any help with links to service manuals, vavle adjustments, or more directly the problems I'm seeing with this cart would be very appreciated.
Blessings, Joe
palmettojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: ST350 Running rich, popping on low RPM

Here are a bunch of threads that might help. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-gas-tech/

Change the plugs, air filter and check valve clearance. Carb may need to be cleaned also due to ethanol fuel. Could be causing the float to not be closing all the way and hence flooding.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: ST350 Running rich, popping on low RPM

As kgsc said, do a tune up. Make sure valve clearances are in spec. I always like to do a compression test before and after adjustment. Compression should be 160+

Pay particular attention to the intake valves when you do the adjustment. They're the 2 in the middle. Look at the amount of threads showing on top of the adjustment nut. These motors have a tendency to wear intake valves down. If there are noticeably more threads showing on top of the nut when they are adjusted, they're worn and need to be replaced. I adjust all 4 valves to .004

Make sure it's got fresh gas and not contaminated as well. A lot of these fleet carts at campuses and stuff get minimal maintenance and before being sold, who knows how long it may have sat after being decommissioned. It's not uncommon for things to sit for a year or more before being sold.

If you havent already, pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. It may be fine but never hurts to make sure. Check plug wires too. They should be stamped with a year date. If they're original (and they probably are) the date on the wires will match the cart.

And welcome :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO