lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
mark.miklaucic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 88 gasmarathon starter doesn't work in reverse

Ok guys need a little help with my newest 88 gasser. The starter works fine in forward but not in reverse. I have power to the solenoid in reverse and F2 is getting power at the starter, but not sure how to interpret the schematics to trouble shoot further. Could the brushes be bad? What should I be looking for? What wires should have power when the pedal is pressed while in reverse? Also this was a basket case so I went through and rebuilt the harness and did the HEI upgrade. Runs like a banshee forward but just a solenoid click when I switch to reverse. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
mark.miklaucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 gasmarathon starter doesn't work in reverse

You might check the micro-switch that's in the FnR switch, not sure on an 88 but once in a while when shifting to reverse on my 85 I have to slightly move the shifter a hair back towards neutral to engage the micro-switch. I'm sure it's just an adjustment thing but I haven't dug into it yet
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 gasmarathon starter doesn't work in reverse

I can help you read the diagram. The dark solid line is forward. The white outline is reverse.

Following the line from the battery through the solenoid, F2 is always positive, and always feeds F1.

F1 connects to lug A on the FnR switch. It will feed A1, or A2 depending on the position of the switch.

The switch is viewed from the rear. It's marked clockwise. A, B, C, D.

With the switch in Forward, the current travels F1 to A, B, A2, A1, D, C, ground.

With the switch in reverse, the current travels F1 to A, D, A1, A2, B, C, ground.

Make sure your connections are correct.
Solenoid-F2
F1-A
A2-B
A1-D
C-ground

There should be a spot on the frame with three connections. From the battery negative, from C of the switch, and a large braided cable from the engine. They should all connect together on the frame.

You say there is power to F2 in reverse. That tells me you are losing your ground somewhere. That also tells me that the activation (control) circuit is working. That includes the pedal, key, and microswitch known as the neutral safety. The solenoid is activating.

If your connections are all correct, I would first take the FnR switch apart, and clean the lugs real good. Inside, and out.
If that doesn't fix it, I would then look deeper into the starter. I really don't think it's the starter because it works in one direction. I think it's a connection problem.

Forgot to add this diagram for easy reference. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/atta...7&d=1323224205
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO