lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2020, 12:17 AM   #1
durrance01
Not Yet Wild

Default Replacement Engine for 2003 Ezgo

My engine died due to lack of oil and I'm needing a replacement engine for a 2003 Textron Ezgo. I've been looking online and there are several different types and it's confusing. I'm not real sure what I'm looking for. Can anyone help point me in the right direction or tell me what I need to find the correct engine ? Where do I start?
durrance01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2020, 02:54 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Replacement Engine for 2003 Ezgo

There are only two in them years, MCI and Pre-MCI. you can tell by on the MCI the exhaust is hooked directly to the head and the Pre-MCI hooked to a cast iron manifold. I think they went to the MCI some where in 03... there is a few on fleabay and maybe someone here can recommend a good remanufacture.

Welcome to the board.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I would avoid the Ebay motors. I've heard from more than one person that $650 price tag is a "gotcha" hook.

If it ran out of oil and seized, then the crankshaft probably has damage. Theyll charge a new crankshaft $$$. The head and camshaft are both probably toast too. More $$$. MCI motors in particular will completely destroy the camshaft and the head with oil deprivation.

Anyone else here that's rebuilt these motors will agree, If oil deprivation killed the motor, you're probably left with a big pile of junk that will probably cost more to rebuild than it is worth. You're better off either swapping in a vegas carts kit, or finding a good used motor in the buy/sell section here from someone else that's already installed.a VC kit for more power.

That $650 ebay price can very quickly turn into $1500-2k with the ebay rebuilders. And you're ending up with an engine that's rebuilt as cheaply.and quickly as possible. That $650 basically covers their labor, gaskets, seals, and piston rings. Some even charge extra for connecting rods, which are wear items anyway since rod bearings are integral to the rod itself. Anything else that's damaged, worn, or deemed "unuseable" they charge you for. It's all in the fine print. And the warranty isn't very good...

If having your motor rebuilt, I'd really.recommend your local dealer if you arent up to doing it yourself. At least you e got local support if something is not right. Saves $100 shipping each way and several days down.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:06 AM   #4
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrance01 View Post
My engine died due to lack of oil and I'm needing a replacement engine for a 2003 Textron Ezgo. I've been looking online and there are several different types and it's confusing. I'm not real sure what I'm looking for. Can anyone help point me in the right direction or tell me what I need to find the correct engine ? Where do I start?
Motors & More in Appling,Georgia will get you fixed up with a quality remanned engine @ a fair price & excellent customer service.I've bought a lot of engines from Cindy there over the years,(I don't think we have a BGW sponsor that sells them).
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mule View Post
Motors & More in Appling,Georgia will get you fixed up with a quality remanned engine @ a fair price & excellent customer service.I've bought a lot of engines from Cindy there over the years,(I don't think we have a BGW sponsor that sells them).
Maybe worth calling and asking. But again, MCI engine + oil starvation. At minimum. that head and camshaft are toast. Those are big bucks on top of regular rebuild costs. New OEM heads are available but almost $1k from ezgo.

I've always wondered about machining out the cam journal and installing a needle bearing like a 2T rod bearing would have
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I agree with Big Mule. Call Cindy at Motors and More. Best company in dealing with these engines I have dealt with.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
durrance01
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone. I will call Cindy tomorrow. Will keep you updated.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
durrance01
Not Yet Wild

I promised an update.

Motors and More rock!!! Cindy is awesome to deal with.
I got my motor installed and it's running perfectly! Thank you for the recommendation. I will be and have been recommending them myself now.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #9
JoeRodriguez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrance01 View Post
I promised an update.

Motors and More rock!!! Cindy is awesome to deal with.
I got my motor installed and it's running perfectly! Thank you for the recommendation. I will be and have been recommending them myself now.
Could you be more specific about the deal, I'm kind in the same boat here, do they ship the engine to you? I live in Florida. Do you have to send the old one first? How much $ are we talking here? if you don't mind me asking.
JoeRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:56 AM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRodriguez View Post
Could you be more specific about the deal, I'm kind in the same boat here, do they ship the engine to you? I live in Florida. Do you have to send the old one first? How much $ are we talking here? if you don't mind me asking.
You order the engine first. You have to pay $250 core. They send you the engine . You then swap things out and send your core back. If the core is good they refund you the $250. You have to pay freight both ways when you order it. They send you a shipping label. You also have follow instructions they send you also. No oil can be in the engine when you ship the core back. A list of everything will be in box with the rebuilt engine. Make sure you read it good.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO