lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Fairmont
Not Yet Wild

Default 04 Club Villager with new batteries runs slow

I have an 04 Club Car Villager that's running slow, even though new batteries and cables were installed about five months ago. I charge it after each use (it's used everyday) and keep the water level proper. It has an IQ system (whatever that means).

I'm wondering if it can be the following:

Computer accidentally reset to slowest speed when batteries were replaced.

The "gas" pedal can be depressed about three inches before the click of engagement is heard. I'm wondering if the floor is simply in the way of the pedal, so-to-speak, and if there's a way to get the pedal to engage the system as soon as it's pushed.

Speed controller not set properly?

Note: The car is charging properly, holding charge, and the problem is consistent. It's not fast one day/hour and slow the next. It's consistently slow. In fact, it never returned to its former performance level, even right after the batteries were replaced (local professional job). But it seems even slower than ever.

Power is still strong even up the steepest hills with four people, but very slow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks (and, yes, the air pressure in the tires is good).
Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 04 Club Villager with new batteries runs slow

WELCOME!!

I'm sure a CC guy will pipe up soon, til then, it sounds like your throttle control is not adjusted properly or you have a micro switch problem. Don't worry too much someone with more info than me will help you soon!

Again, welcome to the forums and good luck!
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Fairmont
Not Yet Wild

Thanks.

Regardless of whether someone can help or not, I'm stoked that this forum exists. I live in Peachtree City, GA, a town with about 12,000 golf carts. The whole city has golf cart paths running everywhere, so having a forum like this should be great.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
ChevyRacing75
Maybe This Weekend :)

Club Car

is it a villiger like a limo style or just a regular cart.
ChevyRacing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Fairmont
Not Yet Wild

UPDATE: Well, I got lucky and was able to diagnose the problem myself, and it's a good problem. Of course, the batteries and cables are good, so I thought it might be the speed controller or something else, but it turns out it's the linkage between the accelerator pedal and the little box (I don't know what it's called) that sends some kind of signal down the line. There's a horizontal plastic rod that is perpendicular to the "gas" pedal and it rotates as the pedal is pushed.

There was simply too much play in the pedal, and it was being pushed a third of the way before the system engaged. So I used a poor-man's trick and, using a flexible, thick plastic camping knife, built a wedge that is about 1/8 inch thick, maybe a bit more, and about one inch long by half an inch wide. I placed the wedge with a little force inbetween the pedal and the linkage, and it worked like a charm. Now I can max out on the flats, and also timed the cart for about 100 feet and my time went from 12.5 seconds to about 10.5.

Now, about a more permanent fix: Any suggestions? The play in the acc. pedal reminds me of old car steering wheels. I don't like play if it stops me from being able to accelerate to the cart's potential.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
eudemonist
Not Yet Wild

The accelerator rod should run through a couple of flattened-v aluminum brackets on either side of the frame rail. A lot of times the bearings in those brackets can get all waller'd out, leading to play in that setup. Part #1011694.

If that don't do it, most likely need a new MCOR (that's the little box).
eudemonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Fairmount-- Worn linkage is real problem with MCOR set ups, because linkage is pot type metal and wears very easily where contact to pedal is. Looking down behind pedal through floor board you see the tip of rod that sits on top of steel pedal, this is wear point. Go to SEARCH ABOVE AND TYPE IN MCOR and there are several good repairs shown that I have used and in one case works very well. ( PIPE OVER CUT LINKAGE WITH HOSE CLAMPS )
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car