lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Bill In Georgia
Not Yet Wild

Default Change 4 guage to 2 guage -48v 200d CC

In converting a 2006 Club Cars 48 volts system over to 2 gauge power wires, what are the essential wires to change, to do a complete job….??

-The wires on the 4 batteries
-The wires from the battery to the controller
-The wires from the controller to the motor
What other cables ... ??

In assemblying the cable connectors is the "Solder Pellet System" acceptable for the current draw on a 48v cart??

Thanks,

Bill
Bill In Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Change 4 guage to 2 guage -48v 200d CC

you need to change all 6 gage to 4 gage all of them and leave the end off one cable till you get it thur the OBC than put the end on....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Change ALL of the high current cables, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. BTW, why are you going to 2g, and what type of cable are you using?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

When changing 48 volt stock 6 guage carts to HD cables you wont get much or any gain out of 2 gauge cables unless you are also replacing solid state controller to 500 amp to 700 amp or up. With stock controller on setting 4 the need for anything above 4 gauge multi-stranded welding cable with highest strand count available is really not going to giving you that much boost. One thing to point out is that you are driving your cart with "4 12 volt batterys" which Club Car has given up on because of short battery life and limited range and converted back to 6-8 volt batterys. Not knowing age of your batterys it might not be needed to go with 2 gauge wiring when batterys themselves could be part or most of your power loss?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Bill In Georgia
Not Yet Wild

Maybe I'm on the wrong track ....I just picked up a Canadian 2006 Precendent ... totally mint .... I'm going to install the rear seat , and thought with a possible addition of 300+ pounds of dead weight, I'd better put my best step forward, thus the reasoning to send the most and best power when needed, with cables that could handle the current flow.....
I don't want to bog the system down to a crawl .....

No ..no problem with speed, on a rolling start, it will snap your head back big time!!!!

So maybe I show wait till I need new batteries and go over to the 6 eight volt system ...
And then again maybe I'm OK where I am ... and stop looking for trouble....

See in my area in Georgia, then are converting old railroad tracks over to paved riding/walking trails, some over 25 miles....no gas powered allowed, but electric OK...
Sounds like fun when your out with a couple old retiries...??

-Bill
Bill In Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Along with your rear seat you may be looking at the need for HD rear springs to carry the extra weight? Dont do a spring conversion unless you have to as it really stiffens up the solo ride. I have done older CC with a single leaf ( purchased at auto parts stores )added to existing single leaf that holds the weight but doesn't ruin the ride. If you go with the 8 volt conversion part of the kit is new 6 guage cables because of different battery lay out and addition of more batterys. You can also expect the range to be much greater ( after battery breakin is over ) compared to even new 12 volt batterys.
I wish that other area's like yours and some area's in Missouri that have converted RR tracks to walking and touring paths.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car