lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #21
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Re: Battery cable size

While I would agree with all that, regular battery cables flex more than enough to handle that much flex. That is nothing compared to coiling and stretching out a welding cable every time you have a welding job.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #22
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Welding cable is perfect for this application. Very flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
Why would you need flex on a cart? None of the cables has to move except the motor cables. Those are so long that flex is not an issue.
You can take the advice, or you can ignore the advice. These techs come here to help people. Please don't second guess EVERY recommendation that comes along just because YOU don't have the experience and industry time these guys do. You don't know how rocket motors work either, yet we went to the moon and back successfully. When a qualified contributor gives advice, please LEARN from it.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #23
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
You can take the advice, or you can ignore the advice. These techs come here to help people. Please don't second guess EVERY recommendation that comes along just because YOU don't have the experience and industry time these guys do. You don't know how rocket motors work either, yet we went to the moon and back successfully. When a qualified contributor gives advice, please LEARN from it.
My saying is "listen to everyone and make up your own mind". In my younger days I was an aerospace engineer. I worked mostly on helicopters, but I do know how a rocket motor works. Not that has anything to do with it. I have a lifetime of experience working on all kinds the machines. Are you really trying to argue that we should use welding cable instead of battery cables on batteries? The reality is they are very similar and I have no doubt that both will work in this application.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #24
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
Why would you need flex on a cart? None of the cables has to move except the motor cables. Those are so long that flex is not an issue.
Flexible cables to do with EASE and put less strain on the connection point so even the battery cable can benefit from the limp and easily manipulated cabling.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #25
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I use welding cable because it works great and can be sourced easily and cheaply.
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #26
Lilrascals
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjane View Post
Found a guy on eBay selling 2g welding cable for $1.35/ft with free ship. It is yellow but so is my cart. Bought cable, ends and a crimper for about half to 3/4 of the cost of a "full set" which doesnt include the 4 from the FR switch to the motor on my series cart.
What total length did you get and are the cable ends all the same on a ezgo txt series setup. I want to do this to mine and I have all the tools just want to make sure I have all I need before taking my cart apart

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Lilrascals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #27
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would think that you would need about 25' plus the ends and heat shrink. Maybe get 30' to be on the safe side.
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #28
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Are yall useING big pliar like crimper or those ones you lay the wire in and wack the top with a hammer?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #29
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

"whack the top with hammer" style, then solder.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #30
gadavis
Gone Wild

I bought a hydraulic crimper set from Harbor Freight. I paid $51.xx (yes from the land of almost right), for it and it does a good job with crimping wire ends on cable. I put a little No Lox brand anti corrosion paste in the terminal when I stick the wire end into it then roll the cable to coat the wire strands good. I crimp the ends and then I heat shrink tubing on the ends. I have not had any problems with cables made this way for golf cart and many other applications including the 20 Kw Onan generator I am installing here.
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO