lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default XCT question

On the XCT software on the left side there is some information that reads:

Voltage Rating: 48V
Current Rating: 400A
Field Rating: 50A

Why would the voltage rating be 48V if you have a 36volt cart?

I assume the 400A is because it is a XCT 400 ??

The field Rating is 50A...

Are these ratings based on the hardware of the controller or user configured inside the software?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: XCT question

the controller is compatible with voltages from 24v-48v. the alltrax does not have to be used at one specific voltage, it would be fine with any battery pack with voltages anywhere between the max and minimum voltage of its allowable range (which is actually a little below 24v minimum and 66v maximum). its no problem at all, they just use the same electronics platform to serve a wide range of needs. while you can set your own maximum & minimum voltages in the software to best suit your battery pack's voltage range, the identification info you are seeing would still stay the same, because that info is there to represent the specs of the controller overall, not just its current configuration.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #3
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Another thing I did see in the XCT software manual is to set the over voltage protection to 6 volts over your battery pack.

If you have a 36 Volt cart that would be 42 volts with my math. My charger takes my battery pack I think up to 45. 5 volts before turning off.

This would seem to put the over voltage over every time...

Am I not understanding this correctly or what should the over voltage be set to?

Old 05-17-2016, 11:04 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

well, depends on how often you drive the cart with the charger plugged in. the voltage will settle below 42v within seconds of disconnecting the charger.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #5
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I see...i knew the approximate point where the charger turns off, but never really looked that it drops below 42 so quickly after the charger turns off.

So with that... anything 42 volts or a little higher would be fine for over voltage setting?

Old 05-17-2016, 11:46 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

the overvoltage is not nearly as important as the undervolt setting. regen braking does not push voltage super high in sepex systems, no big deal (it can in AC systems). the undervoltage setting is the one that protects your batteries from damaging extreme discharges. if it were me, i would set the undervoltage setting to 26v for a 36v system (roughly 70% of nominal pack voltage). this voltage allows proper operation down to the normal cutoff voltage of 31.5v, but does not "cut you off" due to sudden load spikes that cause a quick, drastic voltage drop, like mashing the pedal from a stop when the batteries are low on charge. its always best to keep the charge level as high as is practical during a normal usage cycle (a days work). charge as often as you have an opportunity & dont "run them dead" every time before you charge them, it will extend the lifespan of the batteries. lead batteries dont have the "memory effect" like NiCd & NiMh batteries, they like to be kept as full as possible. wanna nerd-out on battery knowledge? go to www.batteryuniversity.com to get the scoop on batteries of all types, including lead-acid wet batteries like used in carts. not a plug, but i bought the book to have in my library & love the website. written by the guy who built the Cadex battery tester, he seems to know a lot about all types of batteries.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I have the book and spend time on the battery University website also.
Great places to find answers to questions the get asked around here.

------------

A lead-acid battery's voltage drops when Amps are drawn from it and the lower the SoC, the lower it drops per 100A of current draw.

Irreversible physical damage to the battery plate can start occurring at 1.5VPC (Volts per Cell), so I set my under-voltage slider to 1.5VPC, which is 27V for a 36V pack, 31.5V for 42V pack and 36V for a 48V pack. However, part of the voltage drop that happens while driving a cart is due to due to the resistance in the cables, connections and contacts, so it can be set a bit lower than 1.5VPC, but I don't think going below 1.3VPC is a good idea.

As for Over-voltage. Read the statement in the Toolkit manual a bit more closely. It says "at least 6 volts".
I run mine at maximum since I absolutely do not want the controller shutting down and losing regen braking while going down a steep hill at top speed, but if I was going to lower it, I'd probably use about 2.6VPC, or 46.8V for a 36V pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO