lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
jeremykent
Gone Wild

Default What do you use on battery cables??

I have a customer that is constantly breaking battery terminals at the battery. This is due one to them over filling the batteries, but also the lot they are on is rough so the batteries are constantly splashing out. I have tried about every spray coating out there but none seem to hold up.
jeremykent is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: What do you use on battery cables??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremykent View Post
I have a customer that is constantly breaking battery terminals at the battery. This is due one to them over filling the batteries, but also the lot they are on is rough so the batteries are constantly splashing out. I have tried about every spray coating out there but none seem to hold up.
Sounds like a good candidate for a Lithium upgrade. No more splashing or refilling. Less cart weight to bounce around. It'll be a bit harder on the riders though with less weight to soften the ride.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

ThreeCW did a thread on new battery caps that have pretty much eliminated splashing.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

What do you use on battery cables? Someone who can treat them right. Abuse and overfilling will continue to result in more battery expenses, no fancy cap can fix abuse. Single point battery fill systems won't help either if it is ignored or filled at the wrong time.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Or proper filling for about $2500 less

Vaseline is reasonably easy to deal with and water/acid proof.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Is this customer paying you, or is he claiming this is a warranty item? If he keeps paying you, keep him. If he's not paying you, fire him.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
jeremykent
Gone Wild

Customer is happily paying for repairs.. Just getting to be aggravating having to drive 30 minutes both ways for a service call to replace a cable....and of course when the connection gets weak they burn the post off pretty often too. Just a rough application. I told them if they would rinse and water the batteries correctly once a week and just hit the nuts with a wrench to make sure they were all tight it would help. But apparently there have no one with this ability???

I am going out Monday to quote replacement carts. I will take some pics of what I got.
jeremykent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I use nylon lock nuts - coat the battery stud with copper never seize to prevent the nut from getting stuck. After the cable nut is tightened spray it with CRC red battery protector sealer. I did this in big trucks, tractor dumps - some going off road and they never loosened up.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremykent View Post
I found that you can address leaking battery caps by replacing the factory caps with Water Miser Battery Vent Caps manufactured by Flow Systems USA.

I installed these on my cart 5 months ago to address the issue of acid pooling on the battery tops while charging ... but I also think that the caps will address electrolyte splashing out due to rough driving conditions. These "Water Miser's" totally eliminated electrolyte leakage during charging ... I also drive my cart over some fairly hilly and rough pastures with no leakage (but rough driving electrolyte leakage was not a previous problem).

Find attached a few photos to understand what they are and how they work.

My original thread on these caps is here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-golf-carts/138678-love-new-battery-caps.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water Miser Battery-Vent-Cap-Cut-Away.jpg (280.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7672.jpg (238.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7674.jpg (182.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7682.jpg (352.8 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:08 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Those might be great, but the customer habitually overfills the cells, I don't think any cap can fix that.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO