lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
97ezgogo
Not Yet Wild

Default txt starts good but dies out quickly

I have a 97 ez go with a charger that only charges to 3/4 charge on the guage, never shuts off . the battery pack shows 37.5 volts, after a short ride it dies out and in the end will barely move, I checked the batteries and they each read between 6.2 and 6.5 volts, what should I look for? thank you in advance.
97ezgogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: txt starts good but dies out quickly

Pretty sure your batteries are bad unless your charger isn’t working.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Give us a little more info. Is this a new (to you) cart? Did the charger work before? Did anything change? Do you know that a charger can run for a LONG time of the batteries are really drained?

Forget about using the onboard battery meter. It's junk. Use a digital multimeter (DMM) and give us battery readings 12 hours after a full charge, to two decimal points. A fully charged 6 volt battery should ideally be 6.37 volts.

When you tell us one battery reads 6.5 volts, that makes no sense.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
97ezgogo
Not Yet Wild

we've had the cart for 3 years, late last fall is when it stopped reading full charge, the batteries were new march 2017, it only started to die out this season, my cart doesn't have a meter so I used a digital multimeter.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
97ezgogo
Not Yet Wild

I forgot to mention that I checked the electrolyte in them ani it checked in the good level
Old 06-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you keep the batteries charged and maintained over the winter? That is pretty important. You don’t want them to ever get completely dead either.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
97ezgogo
Not Yet Wild

they were charged over the winter but did need water added as they were dry in some cells. I've been seeing about reviving dead batteries with Epsom salts, has anyone tried this, does it work?
Old 06-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ezgogo View Post
they were charged over the winter but did need water added as they were dry in some cells. I've been seeing about reviving dead batteries with Epsom salts, has anyone tried this, does it work?
No it doesn't. It alters the cell chemistry, and not in a good way. It is however a good way to finish off your batteies so you can buy a new set, if that is what you want to do.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
97ezgogo
Not Yet Wild

that's good to know, is there anything that can be done to rejuvenate the batteries?
Old 06-05-2018, 04:46 AM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ezgogo View Post
that's good to know, is there anything that can be done to rejuvenate the batteries?
Yes, there are a couple of methods. Nothing fast and easy though. The fastest is to buy new batteries.

The next fastest is to shake each battery well and invert to dump out the electrolyte and sediment, then refill with water (hose water is fine at this stage) shake and invert again. Repeat until no more sediment comes out.
Mix up some baking soda and water, fill batteries with that solution, and allow them to sit for a full day and night. Dump it out, then repeat the hose water rinse and dump 4 or 5 times until it dumps out clear again. Fill with distilled water, shake and invert. Do it twice. Then fill with new battery acid to 1/4" over the plates and charge. Refill with acid to 3/8 - 1/2" over the plates. This is the method used by many battery "remanufacturers" to turn old batteries around.

The easiest and longest to perform is desulphation. Buy one or more desulphators and connect to batteries, allow them to complete their cycles. It can take months to break down the lead sulphate and restore the electrolyte to full strength once again. I would post a link, but it's a product that I invented, and I'm not going to link to a company that I licenced to maufacture and sell those products. Use Yahoo or Google to find what you need.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO