lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 ezgo rxv will not move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4444 View Post
Jkredman that would be fantastic. If you make it up this way let me know and we can meet up. Bob I just seen another post where you said any Curtis controller after a 5201 will not work unless you do the harness conversion that you have documented. The controller conversion kit I got is a 1206ac-5213. So I’m guessing I should do the full harness conversion before I waste jk’s Time?
The early -5201 ignored cross connects or bonds on the +5V power supply lines for the throttle/brake encoders and motor speed encoder. They did this by toggling off the powerup tests for those encoders. E-Z-GO did this because they had a bunch of Danaher harnesses left to use up when they first switched to the Curtis controllers, and dealing with the +5V splices would have slowed down their assembly line too much. It was faster to just order the controllers from Curtis with those tests toggled off. The later Curtis -5201 and newer controllers came with those powerup tests toggled on, so they would fail the test on the factory installed Curtis conversions. Yours has the bond seperation and the connection to the orange wire, so it should work with the -5211 or -5213, as long as they are connected correctly. If it becomes an issue, you can always send me your controller and I can disable the powerup tests on those 3 encoders.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #12
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2009 ezgo rxv will not move.

Rugby:

How does Saturday morning look for us getting together?

Do you know if your harness has the round 4 pin pigtail connector? If not.....

Or, do you have the conversion kit and we need to install it?

Bob:

I have my OEM handheld you and I have discussed in the past. Can you drop me a note on what needs to be turned off?

Secondly, if the harness doesn’t have the round connector, what is the method for connecting the Curtis handheld to the service plug under the cup holder?

Last week, late at night when I couldn’t sleep, I found a Danaher and Curtis handheld pair listed on eBay. I bought them. The Curtis handheld is a dealer level. Haven’t had the opportunity to test the Danaher handheld yet.

I will also be bringing up my service manual and DVM. (Yeah I think I’m bored not having stuff to do for IBM everyday.....)

Please let me know what to expect when I get to St. Louis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Cannot program Curtis controllers from the cupholder plug.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #14
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkredman View Post
Rugby:

How does Saturday morning look for us getting together?

Do you know if your harness has the round 4 pin pigtail connector? If not.....

Or, do you have the conversion kit and we need to install it?

Bob:

I have my OEM handheld you and I have discussed in the past. Can you drop me a note on what needs to be turned off?

Secondly, if the harness doesn’t have the round connector, what is the method for connecting the Curtis handheld to the service plug under the cup holder?

Last week, late at night when I couldn’t sleep, I found a Danaher and Curtis handheld pair listed on eBay. I bought them. The Curtis handheld is a dealer level. Haven’t had the opportunity to test the Danaher handheld yet.

I will also be bringing up my service manual and DVM. (Yeah I think I’m bored not having stuff to do for IBM everyday.....)

Please let me know what to expect when I get to St. Louis.
Pinouts are as follows.

Controller Pin#/OEM Wire Color/Function/Mini-Fit Jr Pin#
-----------------------------------------------------
25/Purple/+15V/4
28/Yellow/TXD/3
29/Red/RXD/1
34/Green/Ground/2

I took photos of the bench test diagnostic/programming cable (for 35 pin Curtis controllers). One is the overall view of the cable showing the Mini-Fit Jr 4 pin connector. The next is a closeup of the pinout of the connector at the 35 pin connector.

If there is no programming port on the harness, you'll have to add one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CablePinout.jpg (230.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CurtisCable.jpg (541.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

LOL, I made one of those, from an old corroded Curtis harness. Very useful for bench programming. I made a similar one for Yamaha Drives too. You sure do get a lot of errors when you power up a controller not installed in a cart.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:38 AM   #16
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
LOL, I made one of those, from an old corroded Curtis harness. Very useful for bench programming. I made a similar one for Yamaha Drives too. You sure do get a lot of errors when you power up a controller not installed in a cart.
Just one error really, motor temperature sensor. If you add a KSI wire to fully wake up the logic section, then it'll get all of the errors for every missing encoder and input. But if you just jumper the solenoid to apply power to B+ and B- only, the powerup test is bypassed, allowing the controller to be connected to a programming station or handset with a minimum of connections.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #17
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Writing this up so the experts can chime in:

Rugby4444, it was a pleasure meeting you this morning.

My Curtis handheld detected two error conditions:

Encoder Supervision error
Throttle wiper error

In tinkering with the wiring on the bearing encoder, the Encoder Supervision error cleared. To me that means the Encoder Bearing wiring is going bad, and it will probably fail again.

We never could get the throttle wiper error to clear so, as far as your controller is concerned; it’s bad.

We checked the resistances on you motor brake the throttle switch and the brake switch.

Your motor brake was just under 30 ohms of resistance. That’s good that it is high to the 25.5 ohms that is basically the specification. It won’t damage the controller by being high, but at some point the controller will start complaining.

Both your brake switch and throttle switch were showing about 10 ohms resistance when closed. Spec would be ideally less than 1 ohm resistance. Again, at some point I think your controller will start complaining.

Finally your throttle return spring has some play in it. Pulling the pedal all the way up, did not clear the throttle encoder error. I would suggest you shim the spring or replace it, as again at some point I would expect your controller to start complaining about the pedal not returning all the way up.

You did a wonderful job on your Danaher to Curtis conversion, and avoided my initial error. I think your just experiencing what I experienced which is; the new Curtis controllers are more sensitive to out of spec switches & sensors than a well used Danaher is.

Please feel free to reach out if you need additional help.
jkredman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #18
Rugby4444
Not Yet Wild

Just wanted to say thanks to all who replied with suggestions and ideas. Also thanks to jkredman for stopping by and putting his handheld on the cart. I replace the rotary position sensor and now the cart works great again.
Rugby4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #19
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank You. Glad to help!!!!

Bob & CGTech.

Do you have the part number for the Curtis Connector you show in the picture's above?

Or, if you have a scrap conversion kit or wire harness, can I buy it off of you. I do intend to build myself a bench setup. (This retirement thing is boring, and looking for some new trouble to get into... )
Old 08-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I think I gave all of the part numbers and where to buy them in the Programming Curtis Controller thread.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO