lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2018, 12:42 AM   #1
MarathonMonkey
Not Yet Wild

Default What can I expect from this motor upgrade on my 93 ezgo?

Is this the most economical way to squeeze some more speed and torque out of my marathon? It's a pretty decent chunk of change...

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
MarathonMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What can I expect from this motor upgrade on my 93 ezgo?

seeing as how you have a SERIES drive system....there is only one way for you to know what you will end up with and is for you to know what your existing motor RPM's are at....and compare that to the new motor, that is in fact of the new motor will spin at the advertised rpm, and compare the two.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm in a similar boat with a 2000 TXT Series, looking for the right performance upgrades.

I just did the Alltrax 48500 controller and HD solenoid, F&R switch, but I'm still running stock motor and 36v. Like you, I'm trying to decide if a motor will be worth the cost without going to 48v, or should I do the voltage upgrade first. As expected, no significant change from controller swap, but it was a necessary step in the upgrade path.
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Been there, done that with a '00 series cart. Go to 48v. Motor later if you need it.

IMO
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Regardless of how many additional amps a controller upgrade can pass to the motor, the max RPM the motor can reach will stay the same as long as the pack voltage stays the same.

In general terms, a series motor can be wound to provide greater than stock torque at the expense of max RPM reachable for a give voltage, or for a higher RPM for a given voltage at the expense of low end torque. The motor shown above has both 14% higher RPM and 10% greater torque than stock because it has a longer than stock case length, so it is wound for greater RPM and picks up having greater torque by having longer field and armature windings that produce larger magnetic fields.

The typical speed of a stock TXT with a series drive is 14 MPH with 18" tall tires and 12.44:1 gears and the above motor says you can get 16MPH as well as having 10% more torque.

Increasing tire height will increase speed while reducing torque where rubber meets road, so with the above motor you have 10% more torque and could install 20" tall tires and still have close to stock torque and acceleration, with an 11% higher top speed, or about 17.5MPH.

Then if you upped the pack to 48V, the cart would do in the neighborhood of 24MPH.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO