lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2018, 12:34 AM   #31
calvinallen88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Manual charging time with bypassed obc??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Yes, there should be a ~5 second delay. Batteries will charge to ~63 volts or so and as high as 65v.
Ok, so the past few days I have charged the batteries multiple times for up to 6 hours at a time. The charger always drops down to around 5v and sits there. And I have kept an eye on the batteries and get to around 60.5v and sit there, and individual voltage gets up to about 10.3v and sits there.

I have new batteries and have read that new batteries can take up to 12 hours to charge before the charger shuts off. But since I still don’t know if I have a bad obc should I try to leave it charging until the charger shuts off??
calvinallen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #32
sunking
Gone Wild

What is the specific gravity readings.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #33
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have your batteries ever got so low on water that you could see the plates? When you say new batteries how new are they.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #34
calvinallen88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Have your batteries ever got so low on water that you could see the plates? When you say new batteries how new are they.
They are 2 weeks old. Have not added water. Have not checked specific gravity.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #35
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Also, when I plugged my charger back up it immediately started charging with no delay
If you don't drive the cart and just plug / unplug / plug then there will be no delay. The charger believes you want an equalization charge, and will take longer to finish than normal (and at higher voltage).

To check your OBC properly, you have to drive it (even just 20 feet) before parking and plugging in again. THAT is when the charger will do it's normal start/stop/start delay.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #36
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Has anyone ever ask if you got the main battery negative cable running through the hole in the OBC?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #37
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinallen88 View Post
Ok, so the past few days I have charged the batteries multiple times for up to 6 hours at a time. The charger always drops down to around 5v and sits there. And I have kept an eye on the batteries and get to around 60.5v and sit there, and individual voltage gets up to about 10.3v and sits there.

I have new batteries and have read that new batteries can take up to 12 hours to charge before the charger shuts off. But since I still don’t know if I have a bad obc should I try to leave it charging until the charger shuts off??
Even for just a "Surface Charge" 60.5vdc is kind of low, BUT, I do not blame you for being hesitant if you have a concern.

Let me add something else for you. The OBC will charge up to sixteen (16) hours before timing out, not twelve (12) hours.... New batteries can need as much as 20-24 hours their first charge and will get faster on charge and longer on amp hour as they break in and build strength.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #38
calvinallen88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks to everyone on here for the help.

This past weekend I took my cart out hunting, and was able to put a few miles on it. It hadn't been on the charger for a few days so yesterday evening I plugged it in and forgot about it till this am. When I went to check on it, the charger had shut off and was showing 0 amps. Each battery was showing right at 8.5v with the whole pack showing just over 50v. I believe this means fully charged, and since it shut off I assume my charger and OBC are functioning correctly.

But yesterday when I plugged it in there still was not a delay before it began charging. and this morning, I unplugged the cart, pulled it forward about 2 feet and plugged it back in and again no delay before the charger kicked back on. So idk about the 5 second delay before the charger starts working. Oh well, it works for now. Thanks guys.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car