lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #11
Mitchshephard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: BAd Charger or batteries

I don’t understand how an 8v battery is considered depleted when it reads 8v . So your saying we wouldn’t ever be able to use our chargers if we drove around town for a couple hours ? I was under the impression that anything 35v was the point at which a smart charger wouldn’t work . I’m already leaning towards replacing my batteries but I would really like to find out the reason for replacing them before I do . My voltage readings were taken after only one test drive after my upgrades and they have not been recharged since . For unknown reason.
Mitchshephard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Which delta-Q charger?
They have several models, NONE of them will work with the OBC. The OBC will have to be bypassed for it to work.

The dog chewed the DC charge cord that plugs into the cart? Was the cord repaired? Was the charger tested after repair?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:54 PM   #13
Mitchshephard
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Not sure what delta q it came from my father in laws 2013 48v CC precident . The charger cord that was chewed up was on a power drive charger and yes it was repaired and tested and doesn’t work which is why I borrowed the delta q charger .
Mitchshephard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There is a yellow in-line fuse holder on the grey wire near the charge receptacle, check the fuse to see if it’s blown.
If the fuse is blown replace it and try charging again with your power drive charger. If it still doesn’t work you’ll need to bypass the OBC to get it to charge.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:29 AM   #15
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Look at the sticky thread about everything to do with batterys at the very bottom theres a chart look at it you will learn more adout flooded wet acid batteries look a thread #9 first chart
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchshephard View Post
I don’t understand how an 8v battery is considered depleted when it reads 8v . So your saying we wouldn’t ever be able to use our chargers if we drove around town for a couple hours ? I was under the impression that anything 35v was the point at which a smart charger wouldn’t work . I’m already leaning towards replacing my batteries but I would really like to find out the reason for replacing them before I do . My voltage readings were taken after only one test drive after my upgrades and they have not been recharged since . For unknown reason.
Have a look at the attached state of charge chart. At 8.00 volts, an 8 volt battery is at a 43% state of charge ... which is very depleted for a lead acid battery. Fully charged, that same 8 volt battery should be 8.49 volts (at 100% state of charge).

The battery voltage may vary somewhat from this chart depending on battery age and manufacturer.

If your batteries are not being fully charged, it is most often due to aged or poorly maintained batteries, but it could also be your charger or OBC as others have pointed out.

As Fairtax4me suggested, bypass your OBC and try charging the batteries directly with the Delta-Q charger if that is know to be a working charger.

Best to fully recharge your batteries, disconnect the charger and let the voltage stabilize for 12 to 24 hours (with no use). Then take your battery pack voltage and the voltage of each individual battery (recorded to two decimal places i.e. 8.49 volts). Then compare those to the attached State of Charge Chart to get an idea on how fully charged your batteries actually are.

Let us know how you make out and we can help you trouble shoot further once you have completed the above battery test.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Chart.JPG (70.8 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #17
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

Remember he stated 4 batteries were at 7.3 volts dead according to the chart thats the reason for using a non style smart charger to bring them up
Old 11-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #18
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchshephard View Post
I checked today and have 2 new batteries reading 7.9 v and the rest are reading 7.3 v . What I would like to know is why does the delta q charger turn on blink a green light twice and shut back off and keep repeating that every 20-30 seconds . If it’s kicking on the OBC is good right? And is turning on and off because ???? .
Thanks Roxyflash. Lot of reading between the lines here

Those two batteries at 7.9 volts are around 30% state of charge ... really dead, as you should try to limit depth of discharge to 50%.

And those batteries at 7.3 volts are totally dead ... off the chart as you can see. "Totally dead" is even worse than "really dead" in this case. That is why your Delta-Q smart charger will not charge them ... they are too low in voltage.

I would think that your chances of recovering this pack are pretty low, but as Roxyflash has stated, you will need a Non-Smart charger to try to get those batteries started. What you need is an old fashioned automotive charger and
individually try to put some charge into each of the batteries (8 volts or so). Once you have 8 volts or so in each, then the smart charger should be able to take over and you can try to charge them properly.

I have never done this personally, but have read about it here on BGW ... but I suggest that if those batteries have been depleted for a long period of time weeks, months ???, then chances of recovery could be low.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #19
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

I work on aerial lifts golf carts etc at work been doing this for 25 years we get units back where the contactor has welded customer let the motor run till batterys are completely dead zero volts have seen some with negative volts we have a car charger that does 24 volts we hook it up to bring batterys up to voltage then the smart charger will take over some are able to be saved others not the worst is in winter when they freeze take the caps off and ice.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #20
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxyflash View Post
I work on aerial lifts golf carts etc at work been doing this for 25 years we get units back where the contactor has welded customer let the motor run till batterys are completely dead zero volts have seen some with negative volts we have a car charger that does 24 volts we hook it up to bring batterys up to voltage then the smart charger will take over some are able to be saved others not the worst is in winter when they freeze take the caps off and ice.
That sounds like it is worth a try then based on your real experience ... and not just what I have read
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car