lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
jimmer29
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2004 Club Car DS New Motor Purchase Questions

Okay, so my 48v 2004 CC DS got flooded in the last Hurricane that bypassed SC. My cart was swamped with salt water. I am replacing the motor, controller, and MCor4, and probably the F-R handle set up to a rocker arm setup.

Question 1 -Motor was a Plum Quick Series that Plum Quick said the housing with the salt water was not worth trying to rebuild. I can purchase a 2020 Motor off a Precedent that someone pulled to upgrade their motor. It is Club Car Part # 103572501; Model # -EJ8-4001A. Cost appx $325 with shipping.

Will this work on my series cart?

Question 2 - Current controller is a Curtis 1204-410 model with 225 current. One place that I was pricing parts said we could upgrade to an Alltrax 400 AND change the F-R switch from a handle setup to the rocker setup, especially since I already have the upgraded Mcor4 setup, and this will be better to work with on the cart.

Is this correct??

I am not a fan of the Regen system and I don't know if this motor that I am thinking of purchasing can be either turned off or dialed down with the controller. What say you guys?

P,S, - This is my first ever post AND the first time I am trying to do most of the work on a golf cart myself, so ALL HELP AND KNOWLEDGE IS APPRECIATED!!!
jimmer29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 Club Car DS New Motor Purchase Questions

Welcome to the page, jimmer!

I suggest checking with the site sponsors; they are the best equipped to help you. I went outside the folks on the page when I bought some stuff and was led down the wrong path more than once; don't make the same mistake I did!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm pretty sure that a Precedent Sepex motor will not work on a series cart. That's not to say that you can't convert series to Sepex. Just that it would be more work. Some of the other more knowledgeable people on here may chime in.

The Alltrax is a great controller and highly recommended here so you can't go wrong there.

One other thing you may want to consider changing out is, and sorry to be the bearer of bad new, all of the wiring. Water getting inside of the wires will cause them to corrode and lead to all sorts of other problems. You really would be best to strip everything out and rebuild from the ground up.

BTW. Welcome to BGW. The folks here will be glad to help but most of your questions will probably already have been answered if you do a search. And simicrintz is correct, rely on the site sponsors (especially Revolution Carts and Carts Unlimited). David at Revolution and ScottyB at Carts Unlimited have a wealth of knowledge and live/breathe carts.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
jimmer29
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks simicrintz and fsu1tm for your replies.. I have been reading Revolution website on their packages while waiting for replies... I will try to contact both places tomorrow for help.

I was excited about the possibilities of a 2020 Precedent motor, but was really unsure it would work. I know that I had a series Plum Quick in the cart.

And yes, we were waiting on a price for the new wiring harness (they were closed last week, he said).

With everything I am replacing, it will be like a brand new cart, almost. We are also bypassing the OBC because charger was drowned also (plugged in), so no use in paying for a new OBC AND PowerDrive 3. when I can get a smart charger to do the work of two things.

Any other tips??
Old 10-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer29 View Post
Thanks simicrintz and fsu1tm for your replies.. I have been reading Revolution website on their packages while waiting for replies... I will try to contact both places tomorrow for help.

I was excited about the possibilities of a 2020 Precedent motor, but was really unsure it would work. I know that I had a series Plum Quick in the cart.

And yes, we were waiting on a price for the new wiring harness (they were closed last week, he said).

With everything I am replacing, it will be like a brand new cart, almost. We are also bypassing the OBC because charger was drowned also (plugged in), so no use in paying for a new OBC AND PowerDrive 3. when I can get a smart charger to do the work of two things.

Any other tips??
Don't just bypass it. While in there I would take it all the way out.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:27 PM   #6
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer29 View Post
.... I was excited about the possibilities of a 2020 Precedent motor, but was really unsure it would work. ....
Since you are already changing almost everything you might consider making it a sepex cart, then the Precedent motor would work.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
Since you are already changing almost everything you might consider making it a sepex cart, then the Precedent motor would work.
That's what I was thinking. He's got a nice starter cart at this point. Since he's going to spend a couple of grand anyway, might at well get it right.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:28 PM   #8
jimmer29
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
Changing the controller already, and changing the F/R handle to the rocker switch. Anything else I need to change so that this motor will work?? My understanding is that by changing these items and buying the above motor makes it a sepex cart.

Thank you for the replies... I would post a pict of my cart, but board rules won't let me do that for a few days....
Old 10-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #9
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Any insurance helping you out? How's the frame, furniture and fasteners? Brakes? If PQ is going to rebuild the motor, does it matter if it's brand new versus older/cheaper? Otherwise maybe drop ship the motor to PQ so you don't have to pay to ship twice?

I'm brand new and while not all questions get quick answers, the answers that you get here really are super helpful. Nobody is rude, even newbies try to help when they can, and of course the two active site sponsors that were already mentioned are a wealth of information. It's a good thing that they don't have a 1-900-I'M STUCK number for 99 cents a minute, I'd be calling it all the time! "Hey, why isn't my nitrous making my electric cart any faster!?"
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #10
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

If you're going sepex theres a member on here who has 2-2020 sepex motors for $200 ea. shipped. Check the carts and parts for sale forum.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car