lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Negative Voltage on Cart Frame

Your motor could have a partial short to the case. You will need to remove the cables from it and test each terminal to the case for resistance. Any low resistance reading would be your problem!
Make sure to disconnect the battery pack + and - cables, label your motor connections, and hold the nut under the cable ( nut nearest the motor ) so the stud doesn't turn while you're removing the motor cables.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Simpleman is correct,
I had the same problem on my cart and It was the motor leaking juice going through the rear end through the leaf springs into the frame. My motor was just over worked for a long time, 25" tires with a 500amp FSIP will fry a bandit motor. I replaced the Bandit with a torque & speed motor and I get no readings on the frame. Amazingly the Bandit still works, I just stalled it out to many times in the woods.
Steve
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Your motor could have a partial short to the case. You will need to remove the cables from it and test each terminal to the case for resistance. Any low resistance reading would be your problem!
Make sure to disconnect the battery pack + and - cables, label your motor connections, and hold the nut under the cable ( nut nearest the motor ) so the stud doesn't turn while you're removing the motor cables.

. . . except he stated . . "While the batteries were removed I checked the frame and the negative voltage was still there."

. . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Yeah, back up the bus on this one. We need this statement clarified.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . except he stated . . "While the batteries were removed I checked the frame and the negative voltage was still there."

. . .
Yeah, I missed that part too! I do know the controller capacitors will hold a charge for quite awhile. Could that be the voltage reading with no batteries installed?
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #16
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Yeah, I missed that part too! I do know the controller capacitors will hold a charge for quite awhile. Could that be the voltage reading with no batteries installed?
Highly unlikely. I keep thinking we have a funny multimeter here. Or it's on the wrong dial setting, ohms perhaps?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #17
notsoquick
Not Yet Wild

I just replaced all 6 batteries, installed all new 2AWG cables from steveb. Great cables btw. Also recleaned the entire battery box and recoated with undercoating. Still have some power to the frame (9.5 volts) as compared to before, 40 volts. The other problem is the charger will not shut off. I have to manually unplug is when the battery pack gets to approximately 61 volts. Any thoughts on the charger issue?
notsoquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #18
notsoquick
Not Yet Wild

My bad, the cables came from scottyb not steveb.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

As I said before, it only takes a little leakage anywhere to get some voltage between the battery negative and the frame. The meter is a very high impedance so it doesn't take much to make that happen. Try putting a 10K resistor across the meter leads when you make the measurement and I bet a beer that the voltage goes down to less than a volt.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
notsoquick
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
As I said before, it only takes a little leakage anywhere to get some voltage between the battery negative and the frame. The meter is a very high impedance so it doesn't take much to make that happen. Try putting a 10K resistor across the meter leads when you make the measurement and I bet a beer that the voltage goes down to less than a volt.
Would a little leakage to the frame (9.5V) trick the OBC into thinking that the batteries haven't reached the charge limit?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car