lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Jobber104
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor Magnet upgrade experience (and result)

For people considering a magnet upgrade for speed improvements, I thought I would post my own experience and results.

I own a 2004 Club Car Precedent Villager 4 (factory four-seater and extended roof). It's completely stock and original, with the exception of some minor cosmetic mods (rear view mirror, flag mount on back roofline, etc). Factory options include windshield, lights, turn signals, horn, and the optional bag rack that mounts behind the rear seat (behind the footrest, hanging just above the ground). It was always privately owned, no history as a fleet car, so moderate usage for golfing and neighborhood transport. No motor or mechanic issues/work other than typical maintenance. Two years into a set of Trojan batteries (4 x 12v). Standard wheels/tires and no lift kit.

As the cart is described/equipped above, the top speed was 14mph, even downhill. Speed is measured by iPhone GPS app "Speed Box", and I have confirmed accuracy of that app by driving past a stationary radar/sign posted near my neighborhood, several times. 14mph tops on flats and downhill.

CCFanatic helped me determine my motor type in another thread here (thanks!). After looking at my VIN he determined I had an IQ, not Excel version, so I could do a motor magnet upgrade. Also, he gave an easy way to determine the motor brand: If the motor has a black case and a grey end cap that wraps around the side of the motor, it is an AMD motor. If the motor has a dark grey case and a grey end cap that doesn't wrap around, the motor is a GE. I then ordered a speed magnet from Revolution Golf Cars online. I have a GE motor so I got that version

Owner David Hicks sent basic instructions with the magnet and emailed more detailed instructions. The detailed instructions were a step by step, bolt by bolt, description of how to remove the motor as the worst case scenario to change the magnet. David was very responsive and offered additional assistance if needed. Seeing all his posts and advice on this forum is why I ordered from RGC.

David's instructions were very thorough, but luckily I didn't need to remove the motor. I tried the easier route first which included: flip switch to "tow", jack the cart just in front of rear passenger side tire, remove tire, lay down to access the end of the motor, prying off the speed sensor with flat head screw driver, removing old magnet & inner metal ring.

The magnet/ring removal was the most difficult part, it was really on tight. I took some advice seen on this forum and sprayed the magnet/ring with WD40 and let it sit about 20 mins. I also read a tip here about using the hook-end of a paint can opener to get behind the magnet and pry. Without his tool, it would have been much more difficult to reach/pry (probably forcing me to remove the motor and do it the other way David suggested). The magnet is on so tight that it would bend the tool, and I would have to bend back & straighten it out after a while. Then go at it again. The old magnet ended up cracking and then falling off in a few pieces. That's fine, and it gave me getter access to pry on the metal ring, the real culprit. I pried around all sides on the ring, at least where I could fit my hand and the tool. I found it was most effective when I would pry in a side-to-side rather than back and forth (as you would when opening a can of paint). It was better leverage/prying that way and didn't bend the tool as easily. I was checking progress with my thumb against the ring to see if I was getting anywhere. I was, slowly. It took a few minutes, some scuffed knuckles, and going around a few times but as it got closer it finally popped off and rolled under the cart.

I sprayed some more WD40 on the exposed shaft and inside the ring of the new magnet, to gain any advantage I could when putting on the new magnet. David's enclosed instructions tell you which way to place the magnet on the shaft, and it should also end up being flush with the shaft when fully on (so it sits flush against the speed sensor when put back on).

The magnet is very fragile. David's instructions say to use a rubber mallet or piece of wood against the new magnet when tapping it onto the shaft. I had neither (you'd need a small piece of wood like a 1" diameter dowel to fit into the speed sensor seat at the end of the motor, and no way a standard size magnet was fitting in that work space). I was at my cabin, so I didn't have a second hammer with rubber handle or that may have worked well. I ended up using the plastic handle of a screwdriver that seemed to fit against the metal ring, more so than against he magnet itself. I was nervous about using that but with limited options I went ahead. Several taps with the hammer against the flat edge end of the screw driver, while periodically checking for progress by running my finger across the ring, eventually put the ring flush with the shaft.

Reassembly was a breeze, just aligning the speed sensor to the end of the GE motor (you'll easily see how it fits just one way) and snapping it back into place. Put the wheel back on with the lugs, drop the jack, flip tow switch back to "run" and off for a speed test.

Results were MUCH better than I anticipated for my four seater that is already heavier than most carts. I tested it myself and also with with two people (combined weight maybe 350-375) and clubs on the back. That's my typical operating scenario. But both scenarios yielded similar results. Hills in my area are 5-15 degree inclines. Uphill speed reached 14mph (my max speed downhill before). Flat surface speed easily reached 19-21. Downhill speeds are reaching 23. On the flats especially, if feels like it is accelerating normally, until it gets to about 15 and seems like it has plateaued, then feels like it hits another gear and accelerates even more to 19-21 depending on flatness and roads. Hit a downhill slope (even a minor one)and I am quickly up to 23.

So, for me, $43.45, a little bit of time and a few scuffed knuckles, this upgrade was well worth it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.8 KB, 0 views)
Jobber104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
txpres
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Motor Magnet upgrade experience (and result)

Good job!
The nice write up should help others who want to replace the magnet.
Also, David is very helpful!
txpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Thank you sir. I'm glad it worked out for you. That GE motor such as yours are really impressive with the high speed magnets in them. They're a bit more of a pain to install than the newer ADC motors, but they seem to be a little bit quicker when it's all said and done. Thank you for your purchase. Glad you're happy.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Motor Magnet upgrade experience (and result)

As I posted in another post I had to pull the motor and disassemble the motor to get the ring off the shaft because the last person drove the magnet on the shaft all the way down to the bearing and there was zero chance to pry it off. When I used a bearing puller on the rear bearing of the motor the ring came off with the bearing. A lot more work but the end result was the same...21mph from 12mph. Thanks for all the help...I only have one thing to add...always use a jack stand...do not work on any cart while sitting on the jack!
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
Huntit123
Not Yet Wild

Are these magnets available for series motors?
Huntit123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

No, this only works on Club Car Curtis IQ Controllers and stock Sepex motors.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Elopez4828
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation Re: Motor Magnet upgrade experience (and result)

so i messed up and unscrewed the 2 screws around the speed sensor. now they wont attach to anything as i try to re screw in any recommendations? what do they go to? thanks the magnet was a pain had to eventually use a chisle and hammer to break off the ring after the magnet part came unglued i got the new magnet on and speed sensor ready to go but i dont want to move forward without knowing what the 2 screws do arounf the ge motor speed sensor. or atleast how to secure em
Elopez4828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elopez4828 View Post
so i messed up and unscrewed the 2 screws around the speed sensor. now they wont attach to anything as i try to re screw in any recommendations? what do they go to? thanks the magnet was a pain had to eventually use a chisle and hammer to break off the ring after the magnet part came unglued i got the new magnet on and speed sensor ready to go but i dont want to move forward without knowing what the 2 screws do arounf the ge motor speed sensor. or atleast how to secure em
Are you certain you’re using the same bolts you removed. Should be a 10 mm bolt IIRC.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

He called me. We handled it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
rbail1
Not Yet Wild

So how careful do I have to be with that shaft???? I also have the GE motor and it is really starting to piss me off. I have a six inch lift so access is not an issue. Wheel off I have a straight shot at the magnet. I have already broken the magnet off of the sleeve. I have already broken one paint can lid remover and one angled pick. I am afraid I am going to break the case of the motor if I pry with something bigger. I am also afraid of damaging the surface of the shaft. Thinking of trying to rig up my own puller with a couple of larger screws and a piece of flat bar steel. Getting ready to search Harbor Freight and see if any of their pullers will fit in that hole. What a lame *** design.
rbail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car