lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
davejax904
Not Yet Wild

Default Precedent XCT500, MZJ400A Install - Solenoid activation issues

Hi guys,

First post. Was hoping the first post would be a controller, solenoid, cable install post but it looks like the first post will be asking for help.

Ive got a 15 Precedent and started the XCT500 and 400A solenoid install last night and wrapped it up this morning with a no go cart. The Alltrax instructions had a few discrepancies, so I wired everything up according to the Alltrax Operators Manual, pg 18, Club Car Precedent. Wiring it up was straightforward, and it pretty much replicated what was in the cart before this install.

I started troubleshooting this morning so i'll just list out what ive found.

-Cart voltage is 51volts
-Reverse buzzer sounds when R is selected
-Accy lights (headlight, blinkers, etc) work when turned on.
-XCT powers up, solid green light
-XCT controller software shows throttle changes 0% all the way to 100%
-There is a mode lock 3, involved, but ive set all 3 modes to approximately the same personality settings.
-After setting all three modes the same, I tested with it unplugged (still no go)
-I noticed that when i pushed the accel pedal, I hear a relay click from the pedal area, but not a solid thunk of a solenoid.
-I removed all wires from the small posts on the solenoid, and wired from the battery pack to the small posts on the solenoid. I was rewarded with a solid thunk of the solenoid activating.
-This leads me to believe theres a solenoid activation issue.
-I metered the two wires that connect to the small posts on the solenoid. Key off, no voltage. Key on, forward setting, no voltage. Key on, forward setting, accel pushed, no voltage.
-'Relay Status' in the XCT software says 'off'. But I dont know if this is relevant to my cart/setup since the documentation says that it only works if the + and - relay terminals are connected.

Where do I go from here? Only the battery bucket area was touched during the install. Ive physically checked all connections. All wires are plugged back in after the install (except the 4pin connector thats only used with stock controller). All connections tested physically to see that they are secure.

I think this is either a controller, or a wiring problem. I am pretty confident in my wiring, but I also am reluctant to believe that the brand new controller is refusing to activate the solenoid.
davejax904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent XCT500, MZJ400A Install - Solenoid activation issues

A good place to start is to make sure you have the polarity correct on the diode across the solenoid coil. The positive wire should connect to the banded end of the diode. Don't guess about this connection find you a picture in the instructions and wire it exactly. If you have any doubts about this diode remove it until you get your problems sorted out.

Another thing is you mentioned you heard the footsw click but did your software button in the monitor panel light up to verify it?

Rereading your post, here is maybe another possible solution.

Quote:
Key off, no voltage. Key on, forward setting, no voltage. Key on, forward setting, accel pushed, no voltage.
You might have a blown fuse or you have the supply voltage connected to the wrong big terminal on the contactor. The small pink wire should be on the large terminal that connects from the main battery positive.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
davejax904
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
A good place to start is to make sure you have the polarity correct on the diode across the solenoid coil. The positive wire should connect to the banded end of the diode. Don't guess about this connection find you a picture in the instructions and wire it exactly. If you have any doubts about this diode remove it until you get your problems sorted out.

Another thing is you mentioned you heard the footsw click but did your software button in the monitor panel light up to verify it?

Rereading your post, here is maybe another possible solution.

You might have a blown fuse or you have the supply voltage connected to the wrong big terminal on the contactor. The small pink wire should be on the large terminal that connects from the main battery positive.

-Diode is correct. Just confirmed, the band is toward the side of the solenoid that the + side of the battery pack is connected to.
-I hear the accl pedal click, similar to a relay clicking, and the XCT software shows %throttle and 'footswitch input' changes from 'off' to 'on'
-Ive got all my red cables connected to positive side. Reconfirmed everything is connected the same as before I started the install. I took dozens of pictures before taking wires off.

However... while checking the 'footswitch' input in the Alltrax software, I noticed right next to it 'Charger plugged in' is showing 'true'. The cart charger isnt plugged in... I think these carts will not drive if its charging right? So why would the cart think a charger is plugged in?
Old 07-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejax904 View Post
-I noticed that when i pushed the accel pedal, I hear a relay click from the pedal area, but not a solid thunk of a solenoid. That is correct, it is only a MS clicking
-I removed all wires from the small posts on the solenoid, and wired from the battery pack to the small posts on the solenoid. I was rewarded with a solid thunk of the solenoid activating. Did it move? Did you test the throttle?
-This leads me to believe theres a solenoid activation issue. You are correct
-I metered the two wires that connect to the small posts on the solenoid. Key off, no voltage. Key on, forward setting, no voltage. Key on, forward setting, accel pushed, no voltage. How did you test them - Together or individually?
-'Relay Status' in the XCT software says 'off'. But I dont know if this is relevant to my cart/setup since the documentation says that it only works if the + and - relay terminals are connected. Correct again - it can not detect anything

-snip- but I also am reluctant to believe that the brand new controller is refusing to activate the solenoid. It is not, you are missing one of the inputs 48+ or 48-...
See above..Who did you by the controller from? Also check the Throttle setting in the Tool Kit and be sure it says Club Car IQ/I2 Excel.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
right next to it 'Charger plugged in
All you have to do too correct that is start the software>Select tools from the pull down menus>Enable viewing charger settings> (this is the option in the lower right corner)>Go back to the controller setting screen and at the bottom you will have a new option. Select the opposite setting for the charging interlock than the one that is selected now. Hopefully you will be good to go. It's all pretty self explanatory once you get into the software.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
davejax904
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
See above..Who did you by the controller from? Also check the Throttle setting in the Tool Kit and be sure it says Club Car IQ/I2 Excel.
-I removed all wires from the small posts on the solenoid, and wired from the battery pack to the small posts on the solenoid. I was rewarded with a solid thunk of the solenoid activating.

Did it move? Did you test the throttle?
I was only testing to see if I could get the solenoid to activate. Didnt push the throttle while it was activated. Should I? I suppose I could, I have the rear tires off the ground.

-I metered the two wires that connect to the small posts on the solenoid. Key off, no voltage. Key on, forward setting, no voltage. Key on, forward setting, accel pushed, no voltage.

How did you test them - Together or individually?
I had the volt meter leads on the two solenoid control wires while they were attached to the small solenoid posts. First test, turned the key off, result=no voltage (I expected this. Just did it as a baseline) Second test, turn the key on, selector to F, no voltage (Kind of expected this, I didnt think the solenoid would activate just cause I selected forward, but who knows, im not really familiar with carts). Third test, key on, selector to F, push accl, result no voltage. I expected to see voltage here to activate the solenoid. I did see that the XCT saw the throttle percentage, but still no voltage.

Bought the controller and solenoid from ScottyB. Ive got an email in to him, but just got an out of office this morning.

Throttle type says 'Club Car IQ/i2 (MCOR)' It doesnt say excel.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since You have an ERIC system, You need to change the Alltrax interlock setting:
Open the Alltrax Toolkit software and click on Tools then Options.

Make sure you have a checkmark on the "Show Charge Interlock".

Go to the "Controller Settings" Tab and scroll all the way to the bottom of that page.

Change the option: "Disable the Motor Controller when User3 is:" to "High/Low"

Click the "Set" button (on the left of the Program) to save the settings

Unfortunately the interlock is not going to disable the cart unless you remove the 10kΩ resistor from the blue wire.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:00 PM   #8
davejax904
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
All you have to do too correct that is start the software>Select tools from the pull down menus>Enable viewing charger settings> (this is the option in the lower right corner)>Go back to the controller setting screen and at the bottom you will have a new option. Select the opposite setting for the charging interlock than the one that is selected now. Hopefully you will be good to go. It's all pretty self explanatory once you get into the software.
I dont have the path youre describing.

At the top I have 'file', 'controller', 'tools', 'help'
When I click 'tools' I have a drop down menu with a single choice: 'options'
That pulls up a window titled 'advanced settings'
The only option in there is talking about 3 wire chargers. 'show charge interlock'
When I enable that it turned on a new setting area called charge interlock: disable the motor controller when user3 is "high/low" or "Floating/NC"

What is high/low and floating/nc ?
Old 07-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #9
davejax904
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Since You have an ERIC system, You need to change the Alltrax interlock setting:
Open the Alltrax Toolkit software and click on Tools then Options.

Make sure you have a checkmark on the "Show Charge Interlock".

Go to the "Controller Settings" Tab and scroll all the way to the bottom of that page.

Change the option: "Disable the Motor Controller when User3 is:" to "High/Low"

Click the "Set" button (on the left of the Program) to save the settings

Unfortunately the interlock is not going to disable the cart unless you remove the 10kΩ resistor from the blue wire.

Current cart setting is 'high/low'
Old 07-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am sorry, my answer was confusing.

The ERIC system will never be in a "Floating/NC" state since it has a pull-up resistor keeping the user3 line high.

The correct option without changes is "Floating/NC" so it runs all the time, with or without the charger plugged to the cart.

If You remove the 10kΩ resistor, then changing the option to "High/Low" will allow the cart to be disabled when the charger is plugged to the cart.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, mzj400a, precedent, solenoid activation, xct500
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car