lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
joop1881
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 1990 DS Brakes

I'm not getting the stopping power that I think I should be out of my 1990 DS brakes.

I've recently restored a 1990 that was sitting idle for more than 5-7 years. I've got all the electrical stuff worked out and running great. At first the stopping power was zero. I replaced the pads and adjusted the tension and got it to where it will slow considerably, but not complete stop if I stomp on the pedal. When I have the pedal all the way down (not to the floor, with as much tension as possible) there is definitely friction, but not lock up. 10-15ft stopping power from 16mph

Should I expect complete stop like a newer model that I experience on the local course?

What condition should the drums be in? They are currently pretty slick with a rough spot from light rust from sitting so long. (I'll see if I can figure out how to post some pictures this evening)

I plan to replace the brake cable as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
joop1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 1990 DS Brakes

If it is the same size drum and pad, then it should. But not like the new precedents as they are a little different in size and weight.

Make sure you took 80 grit paper and roughed up the drums real good to remove the glaze. Also make sure the pads are adjusted right up to the drum before you install the wheel.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
cobolnofun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i recently re-did my 1990 brakes and struggled for weeks to get it to stop reliably. I had either no brakes or the brakes drug me to a crawl. Ended up, i had over tightened the peddle Tensioner(?? the thing that converts the brake peddle to 2 cables). Basically, i had the throw of the peddle so small the pads didn't move very much.

What i did: loosen up the brake adjuster at the drums. Then Loosen the tensioner thing (making the brake lines longer). Watch where the cables move at the brake drums. As you loosen depress the brakes and watch to see the travel. Once you stop gaining travel you have reached the end. Then tighten the brake drums till they just barely scrape.

If after that you have parking brake setting issues, tighten that tensioner, and readjust the pads.
cobolnofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
joop1881
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Great info, thanks again.

Update: roughed up the drums with 80 grit on the dremel and no change. Fooled around with the cable tension and got a little better but still not locked up with parking break on. I did notice that one cable is sticking. I worked it out a little but didn’t have a lot more time.

Is it more likely the cable sticking in the housing or the brake mechanism?
What should I look at next?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:13 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

When you have both drums off and you are looking at the brakes sets, do you have even movement on both sides. Do you have free-play on the shoes. Does the cable start to move just after you start depressing the peddle?

Make sure the shoes are placed on correctly in regards to orientation.

See here http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1325727
Old 08-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #6
joop1881
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Movement wasn’t great on passenger side. Took the drums off and gave everything a thorough cleaning with brake cleaner and disconnected cable to break loose and lubricate.

After tinkering with tensioners, I’ve got it as close as I think I can to stopping on a dime. Down to 5-7ft from full speed. Passenger side barely rubs.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I'd say you did a good job!
Old 10-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Good Info
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car