lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
apiske148
Not Yet Wild

Default 95 DS 48V Reverse issues (not a common fix)

I recently got a 95 Series DS with no batteries, seller claimed everything worked but have found that not to be true.

Put in brand new batts and I have fwd but no reverse. connections are all good, solenoid clicks in fwd and reverse as it should but no motor in reverse.

Swapped the blue/orange high amp wires on FNR and got reverse when in fwd, but no fwd in reverse.

Bypassed the resistor on black wire from 3rd microswitch and nothing
buzzer comes on when in reverse (even if key is off)

I have confirmed wiring as best I can but noticed that I do not have a purple wire coming from my potentiometer so it clearly does not connect to controller either. No purple wire anywhere in the looms either.

Also I dont have a green wire coming from top of 3rd microswitch going to the controller, instead have white going to potentiometer, and black with resistor going to potentiometer.

Tried switching micro switch wires but got nothing.

I tried to pull the FNR but the handle is stuck, screw came out but handle wont come off (soaking in PB blaster now, heat gun didnt help).

I was going to buy a new FNR just to eliminate it but all the ones I see are for 96+ so they dont have the 3 microswitches - can I convert to a newer FNR?

What am I missing?!
apiske148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #2
apiske148
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 95 DS 48V Reverse issues (not a common fix)

pics of FNR and potentiometer (has blue, green/white, black, and white wires)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180905_225608.jpg (198.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180905_233132.jpg (201.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180905_233148.jpg (200.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-05-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Look at this diagram and see if it helps. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...html#post16471
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:04 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The proper way to test the reduced speed micro-switch on the 2-wire throttle is to just disconnect the wires from the switch.

That system added a resistor in parallel with the throttle during reverse, so if You disconnect the wires the cart will work at the same speed in reverse.

Follow the wires carefully and make sure the high amperage cables go to the proper locations, that controller uses the A2 terminal and many folks get confused by the wiring.

Use the high-res wiring diagram below for your cart:

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:13 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
-snip-
Use the high-res wiring diagram below for your cart:

Darn show-off....

Seriously though, need to get Lockman or Rib to put that one in with the Electrical Diagrams sticky as the one we have there now is not formatted for expanded viewing.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
apiske148
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the correct diagram wire colors match up now. Prior to posting I connected the white and black wires connecting from the micro switch both before and after the inline resistor and had no success. (edit after re-reading your post - I also tried with the wires disconnected - no luck there either)

I will check again on the high amp lines but 99% sure those are correct since I traced and verified them all last night and they matched up to the diagrams.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #7
apiske148
Not Yet Wild

based on no luck bypassing resistor and microswitch what is the next troubleshooting step?

If I do end up needing to replace FNR switch can I use a 96+ one on my 95? not worried about half speed reverse or reverse buzzer if that helps. just want reliable forward and reverse!
Old 09-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As long as the Orange and Blue cables from the FNR swivel post definitely go to Motor S1 and S2 posts, the FNR contacts are most likely melted and recessed on the reverse circuit contacts.

You do not need a reverse micro-switch but the wires need to remain disconnected on that 2-wire throttle design.

Only the old FNR not intended to be used with a controller had a single micro-switch, any new FNR for Series controllers need multiple micro-switches due to the reverse speed circuit.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #9
apiske148
Not Yet Wild

ok thanks, I will try again to remove the FNR handle and check those connections, if damaged sounds like I can get a newer FNR switch. Is there a wiring diagram to hook up a new style FNR with my current setup? the wire colors are different...

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The wire colors should be exactly the same as your system.

The Blue and Orange cables from Motor S1 and S2 must go to the swivel posts.

The other 2 cables connect to the remaining 2 tabs on the FNR (any order).

if after You install the FNR the cart moves the opposite direction as indicated by the FNR, simply switch the 2 swivel post cables.

I recommend You check with our site sponsors as they carry the FNR switches.

If You are looking at a specific FNR that does not seem like what You have, just post a link to the FNR so we can comment.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car