lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
ScubaVinny
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Batteries and inverter question

Hey everyone!

So I have a 2007 Club Car Precedent, it has 48v with the (4)12v batteries. I am wanting to connect an inverter to the golf cart but I want to know the best way to do this. This would be used just for Halloween and Christmas for some lights. The kind of inverter I have is one that connects directly to a battery. I also have a 48v to 12v reducer but it is only 10 amps. So here is my question, can I connect this inverter straight to the 12v reducer even though it is supposed to be connected straight to a battery? The wires coming out of the reducer are obviously much smaller than the cables for the inverter but the amount of amps coming off the reducer is much less than a battery. Or would I be able to connect this inverter to only one battery in the battery bank? How would that affect the batteries as a whole? Thank ahead of time for the help.

Greg
ScubaVinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
sonofagunn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Batteries and inverter question

If the lights use less than 10 amps you should be able to hook it to the reducer. It is possible to hook it up to just 1 battery in the bank but if you use a lot of juice the batteries will become unbalanced which isn't ideal.

For Christmas, I have put an extra 12v battery in the back of the cart and hooked up to it.
sonofagunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
ScubaVinny
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I usually use an extra battery and use a different charger for it. I guess I can continue going that route for now. I will be using about 200 watts, so the reducer will not work. In the future I guess I will either need a 20amp reducer or get a 48v inverter.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
sonofagunn
Getting Wild
Club Car

You could replace all your holiday lights with LED lights and probably come in way under 100 watts, which would work with the current reducer.

For example, a string of 70 LED Christmas lights uses just 4.8 watts: https://www.christmasdesigners.com/7...SABEgLEBfD_BwE
sonofagunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
ScubaVinny
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The lights I am using are LEDs, but they have built in controllers that must be using more watts. I tried them out last night and was surprised that 200 LEDs would trip my small 100 watt inverter. I have other inverters that can handle it, but obviously not under 10 amps.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Are you using lights with an AC plug (for your house)?

Best solution is to buy lights designed to work on DC power. https://primolights.com/12-volt-christmas-lights.html

All LEDs run on a DC power source. Household LED lights use an AC to DC transformer to supply DC power. You already have a DC power source (batteries). Don't use a DC to AC inverter, to make AC power to feed an AC to DC transformer just to supply your lights. Leave the inverter out of the equation and buy lights you can wire directly to the reducer you have, or get a reducer capable of supplying at least 20 amps so you have enough power for lights.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Are you using lights with an AC plug (for your house)?

Best solution is to buy lights designed to work on DC power. https://primolights.com/12-volt-christmas-lights.html

All LEDs run on a DC power source. Household LED lights use an AC to DC transformer to supply DC power. You already have a DC power source (batteries). Don't use a DC to AC inverter, to make AC power to feed an AC to DC transformer just to supply your lights. Leave the inverter out of the equation and buy lights you can wire directly to the reducer you have, or get a reducer capable of supplying at least 20 amps so you have enough power for lights.

I've been trying to get 12v lights from that company for months. Never in stock.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I just posted that as an example, there are plenty of other suppliers for 12v powered decoration lights. Some “household” lights may also work if they have the Ac transformer separate from the light control box. 12V is common for a lot of different LED lights. You mostly just need to determine the operating voltage of the actual bulbs. Supplying power from there can be as simple as a fuse and switch. If you use color changing lights you’ll need the control box for that, and will just have to supply power for the box.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #9
Bugman1400
Not Yet Wild

Why can’t you tap off one of the 12v batteries similar to the way the Reverse circuit does? That way, you wouldn’t need a separate battery or charger.
Bugman1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:36 PM   #10
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman1400 View Post
Why can’t you tap off one of the 12v batteries similar to the way the Reverse circuit does? That way, you wouldn’t need a separate battery or charger.
You want to keep your battery pack balanced by not drawing off of one battery in the pack excessively. The draw for a reverse alarm is very small compared to what ScubaVinny is proposing with his light set up.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car