lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
netrave
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Onward - Aftermarket Controller and Motor?

Just picked up a 2018 ClubCar Onward - I have new in the box that I was going to install on my 2013 Precedent - a Navitas 600amp controller - Solenoid & and a AMD 7144 Motor. I dont know why but my 2013 controller was a Curtis 1515 - the dealer told me that's the wrong controller that's in my 2013 - I wanted to install this originally in my 13, but now I want to know if I can put it in the onward? I have the 16 pin adapter cable - but I dont know if there is anything else different on the onward that would prevent me from changing the controller?

Has anyone done it or know if it will work? I have the 2gauge wiring kit from ScottyB and im ready to try it out - it "Looks" like everything is the same on the cart except for the OBC controller is built into the charger... Does anyone know if this will be an issue to do or if it should work? - I have called a ton of online stores and dealerships and no one has an answer for me. Searched this forum and cant find anything about it... Anyone have any info before I destroy my cart! lol
netrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2018, 06:01 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Onward - Aftermarket Controller and Motor?

Not sure why anyone told you it would "not" fit, although it is true it has to be adapted for plugging and mounting, but it would have worked in your '13. Not my choice at all, but it would have worked.

As far as I know, the Onward is still based on the Excel design, so it should work there, too. Again, not my choice to install that line of controller, but if you have made that investment, I guess you wanna use it.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
netrave
Not Yet Wild

The only reason I wanted that controller was because I didn't know that alltrax was going to come out with an on the fly adjustment for my daughter so that I can slow the cart down on the fly when she drives it. Are you just saying that the navitas is just not a good controller but it will work? I can always swap that part out or exchange it down the road but I just didn't know if it would work to begin with?

I liked that I could LOCK the speed without using a computer on the fly when my daughter drives it...
Old 10-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #4
netrave
Not Yet Wild

I dont think I worded my first post correctly:
I want to install the Navitas 600amp controller, solenoid, 2gauge wiring kit, AMD 7144 motor in the new Club Car Onward and just wanted to make sure it would work. I can always switch to an alltrax if its that much better that still isn't the issue - I guess im just trying to find out if it will work or if there is something on the new carts preventing you from making it work? The dealer is telling me it wont work but I cant see any reason it wouldn't unless the OBC controller has anything to do with it - but besides that I have no idea if they changed some other electronics elsewhere on the cart that would interfere with that controller?
Old 10-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

There is no reason it will not work as it is still on the I2/Excel platform. I think the dealer is stating that because it has to be adapted (meaning harness/mount/etc.).

If you have the 400a solenoid, motor (7144 = 7hp S/T Sepex) and 2ga cables then it will all work. You do not have an OBC on the Onward as it uses the ERIC charging system and it is all controlled in its self.

Just take your time, flip it to "Tow, remove the Neg cable off the Main Pack, then the Main Pack Pos, then take your time and mark everything to help you remember. Also, pictures are great at helping you remember. Save all the OEM stuff as you can sell it or reinstall it later if needed.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
netrave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
There is no reason it will not work as it is still on the I2/Excel platform. I think the dealer is stating that because it has to be adapted (meaning harness/mount/etc.).

If you have the 400a solenoid, motor (7144 = 7hp S/T Sepex) and 2ga cables then it will all work. You do not have an OBC on the Onward as it uses the ERIC charging system and it is all controlled in its self.

Just take your time, flip it to "Tow, remove the Neg cable off the Main Pack, then the Main Pack Pos, then take your time and mark everything to help you remember. Also, pictures are great at helping you remember. Save all the OEM stuff as you can sell it or reinstall it later if needed.
Awesome - i really appreciate the help with that - i do have the harness that converts the 16pin connector to the controller and i have the upgraded solenoid as well - i think this dealer doesn't know much about aftermarket because they were telling me the entire cart is different but everything looks almost the same - very slight differences I've noticed in the rear suspension but thats it...

Do you have an upward? Because I dont know why they added these huge bump stops in the back for the lifted cart - you literally have 1" of travel for the rear before it bottoms out - makes no sense to me!
Old 10-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
netrave
Not Yet Wild

Also - i have not installed the controller yet - so i can switch to an Alltrax - which unit is the one to get? I would want to be able to have a slow setting and a full power setting so that when my daughter drives it - it will accelerate slower and maybe top speed would be like 19 or so but then when i drive it. The reason i went with navitas was because i dont really want to tinker too much with it once its set and i thought it would just be easier with the knobs... But maybe i was wrong!
Old 10-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrave View Post
Also - i have not installed the controller yet - so i can switch to an Alltrax - which unit is the one to get? I would want to be able to have a slow setting and a full power setting so that when my daughter drives it - it will accelerate slower and maybe top speed would be like 19 or so but then when i drive it. The reason i went with navitas was because i dont really want to tinker too much with it once its set and i thought it would just be easier with the knobs... But maybe i was wrong!
If you are going with Alltrax, I suggest the XCT500. And, there is a simple conversion of the existing programming wiring that now goes from the controller to the port under the dash. You will install a SPDT switch (keyed switch could also be an option here) in place of the programming port and replace the 4 pin programming connector at the controller with a 3 pin connector (using existing pins) and plug it in to the Alltrax. You will then have 3 different user settings that you can program with the Alltrax Toolkit Software. See the attached Alltrax drawing. I used the Black, Red and Yellow and spared the Green in the programming harness. This switch can also be operated on the fly. The 3 pin connector can be purchased at Mouser Electronics, see links.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...Gmhvd91sG7w%3d

This is the extraction tool to reuse existing pins, or you can order new pins (Molex# on dwg) with the 3 pin connector to save these $$.

molex 11-03-0044 connector accessories, mini-fit jr extraction tool
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Personality Switch - XCT-SPDT-CABLE.pdf (117.1 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrave View Post
Yes, as PingEye3 stated, the XCT-500 is what you want. You can order one here https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...roller-500-amp and if you call David for the order, he will ensure you have the correct MAP installed to work with your 7144 motor. He is great to work with.

And the switch referenced by PE3 works great, I have one installed on mine. If you do not feel you can or want to tackle that, here https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...ct-controllers is the Alltrax prewired version.

Tags
2018 onward, club car, controller, navitas, onward
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car